From:
Carolyn Kingeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 14:44:09 -0400
I would like to respond to the articles pertaining to diabetes that were
posted ovver the last few days.  I have lost two ferrets to the disease over
the last five years.  Because of this I wrote over 1500 letters to vets and
shelters all over the world (pre-computer days)to try and find out as much
as I could.

As far as how they get the disease, I don't think anyone really knows, but
the majority of the responses were: 1 Diabetes M created iatrogenically by
too much carbohydrates, especially refined sugars.  I don't know how I feel
about that, but I do know that feeding you ferret too much of either one can
make him over weight , which contributes greatly to diabetes.

2 The disease can be a result of insulinoma surgery, resulting from
atrophied beta cells trying to regain normal function after removal of the
insulinoma.  It is usually temporary, but may require short term insulin
therapy.  (From Dr. Susan Brown, Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital,
Illinois)

3 Transient from cortisone, after surgery.  Predisone increasess the
breakdownof the bodys fat stored for conversion to glucose by the liver.
While this drug is effective in treating insulinoma, it only seems to worsen
the problems associated with diabetes.  (From Dr. Bruce Williams)

As for treatment, I was giving my ferret insulin twice a day, but could not
get his sugar regulated, he also had ketosis.  It was very hard, both for me
and my poor ferret.

I hope this can help someone, Thanks [log in to unmask]