From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:30:44 -0800
Anne says clip into a nail vein to collect blood for testing, and Bob
Martin disagrees.  But Bob, what you forgot to tell us in your post is how
we SHOULD collect the blood.  How do you do it?  Clipping a nail is how the
vets do it.  I've never had a nail clipping accident that drew blood, but I
have had them flinch and jerk when the clipper compresses the live area.

My husband is diabetic so we have several stick kits.  Is this a better
way?  How much blood is needed?  I'm a whizz at exacto-knife surgery, will
that work?  Will it help if I say "This will hurt me more than it does
you"?  I wonder if this isn't a 'comfort area' thing.  Anne and I may be
more accepting of the fact that not everything in life is pain free.
I've given shots to animals larger than myself, trimmed feet of the cloven
hoofed, (it's done with a sharp knife) and if any of you has a cow needing
a caesarean - hey, I'm your woman!

I believe I'd rather inflict a small amount of pain than have a dead
ferret.  But I'm open to suggestions.

Georgia - the left coast one...