From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:45:42 -0400
>I could have sworn that I read in Ferrets U.S.A.  that adrenal disease
>didn't actually kill ferrets.  I thought that I read that it was non-fatal
>and it was mainly a cosmetic issue.  Could somebody put me straight on
>this issue?

It becomes very uncomfortable and it can have some secondary aspects that
can kill: prostate inflammation or UTIs from it can result in kidney
damage or even in burst bladders, fatal anemia sometimes results, a tumor
on the right can cause problems for neighboring structures like the Vena
Cava or liver.  (Luckily, the L is much more likely to have the problem
for some reason.) Sometimes a malignant growth is present and then other
concerns which surgery addresses are present.

Certainly not cosmetic.

That said, if we have one who is not a surgical candidate as with one who
is dying of something else we tend to consider an adrenal growth in the
noise and will treat the symptoms.

Normally, we are diligent about having adrenal surgeries when needed.

Lisa, have vet check for a teething abnormality like an entrapped baby
tooth and abscess.  A general medical exam and fecal makes sense since
pain can cause biting.  Also give ferret Foamy Fries or Cheweasels.