Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:01:07 -0400
Kat I think what you are implying is wrong.  Shelters have a very hard
decision to make every day!  They work on very limited funds and try to
do the best that they can with what they have.  I know the Shelter Moms &
Dads would like to save all the ferrets, but most of the time it is just
not possible.  Unfortunately a lot of the decisions are dictated by
finances.  I personally believe that since elderly ferrets tend to have
a higher risk of not making it through a surgery that if the choice came
down to surgery for a kit or a senior the surgery should go to the ferret
with the greater probability of survival which 9 times out of 10 tends to
be an adoptable ferret.  Unfortunately older sick ferrets are usually not
the ones that get adopted :-(

You state:

>"i also understood that medical care for a ferret being fostered was
>supposed to be covered by the shelter fostering it out...even if that
>ferret is unadoptable...is it not entitled to proper medical care?...
>and is not the VET the one who should decide what that ferret needs?
>
>sorry...just questions that have been tumbling around in my brain...
>
>i know there are shelters that take care of each ferret on an individual
>basis...are these only shelters that answer only to themselves?..or can
>'shelter-by-committee' shelters take care of a ferret this way too?  how
>many clubs that rule shelters follow the "adoptables first" rule of
>thumb?...
>
>don't the poor babies who no one will want deserve a chance to have
>their"

Your last line hear is what really upset me.  I feel that you just may
have laid a huge guilt trip on the Shelters and that is not fair.  They
all deserve a chance but shelters have to be realistic.  If you feel that
you have a solution for this or have the money for all their surgeries
then I would love to hear it.

I also want to state that I do not speak for any shelter.  This is just
my $.02.

Lisa & her 24 paws