From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:28:18 -0700
>Any suggestions for setting up this ferret room would be greatly
>appreciated.

Yes Debbie.  Lots of things you can do with your room for your ferrets to
allow them out all the time and keeping them happy and healthy.

Best place for the cage is smack right in the middle of the room and place
their play pretties around it and against the wall.  Take an old comforter
or quilt or heavy duty material and cover that cage completely, but make
slits where you can get in there to change out blankeys and potty box.
(Even allowed free all day, they still go potty in their cage).  THe
completely dark cage helps the ferrets' health in the long run.  Hopefully
the one window will provide all the daylight they need - do not drape
it, even if there is an outside light that comes on - the dark cage will
provide their den effect.  If you want them in light at night, make it
where they can come into the livingroom with you and go back at will - let
them invade your world, not you theirs.  Mine have a doggie door into the
den from their room- they prefer theirs, most normally only coming into
the den when I am in there.

For potty boxes around the room, suggest when you find out where they want
it, to get the large plastic underbed storage boxes and cut out the front,
put litter up near the back.  THey will use it better when they can walk
into it, without climbing, (usually while playing they are in a hurry)
might get a little litter on the carpet but it is better than when they
are in a hurry and start going around the edges.  I have 13 and in my 5
years with them have not had one case of adrenal or the other diseases
known to be common in ferrets - well except for Cascade who had Lymphoma,
which I understand they are born with.  SHe was a Marshal Farms as well as
Ammonia and Easy OFf, the rest of mine are home grown and were fixed later
in life.  I truly believe this along with the total dark sleeping areas
and the vast amount of sunlight they get makes the difference.  Also, I
have tubes in the wall leading outside to 3 4x8 cages which go 18" into
the ground they can come and go at free which probably helps but sunlight,
darkness, free roam and late fixing are the most important in keeping them
healthy

Oh, and even though they go outside, I still have two rice boxes inside
for them to dig into and two little swimming pools inside to fish out the
Ping-Pong balls plus lots of tubes and boxes - outside they have the water
boxes with balls and 120 feet of sewer pipes with lots of intersections
to run.

--
Millie and her Hazardous Exploding Drinking it up Cleaningcrew - Ajax,
Joy, Febreze, Bottle, Bounce, Biz, Borax, Brillo, SOS, Oxydol, Snuggles,