From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:53:28 -0400
To Sukie:

So sorry that Ruffle is no longer with you in the physical form, please be
comforted in knowing that Ruffle resides peacefully, forever in your heart.
Hugs.

Recliners again...

If you did not read the post yesterday entitled "Recliners" READ IT!!!!  I
hear stories like this EVERY WEEK.  If that does not do the trick for you
think of a road sign with a picture of a recliner on it with a circle around
it and a red line going diagonnally through it!!!  It means NO RECLINERS.

Some people seem to think the problem is keeping the ferret from digging at
it or keeping the ferret out of the mechanisms or not "reclining" in it.
That IS NOT it.  Ferrets have gotten their heads stuck in every immaginable
place and some even un-immaginable places and DIED it the recliner.  Most
have some sort of "give" to them if you just sit in them without reclining.
The rocker-recliners are the worst.  Sit for just a second, without
realizing, and the ferret is DEAD.  You don't get a second chance.  You
can't miraculously bring your wonderful, innocent and sweet ferret friend
back from the dead.  There is NO WAY to have a 'safe' recliner, there is no
such thing where ferrets are concerned.

To Chryss and Khia:

Grapes are fiber!  Ferrets cannot digest them, they only pass through the
digestive tract.  I do not recomend grapes either, but they are probably as
safe as raisins.  Follow the same guidlines as I talked about with raisins
and be sure to give hairball medicine afterward.  It would be best to peel
the grape and cut it up into very small pieces before giving it to a ferret.
(You might try putting a grape on a flat surface and trying to "chop it up
with an ice pick" to understand how hard it is for a ferret to chew them to
a small enough size to go through their body without causing a blockage.)
Probably only 1/2 grape (cut up) per ferret per few days would be more than
appropriate.  Grapes are also very sweet and ferrets seem to be sensitive
(just my opinion here) to sweet things which can blood sugar problems.  NO
MARSHMALLOWS for this very reason.  Artificial sugar especially, or any form
of sugar in such large quantities is bad for ferrets.  They love sweets but
they are bad for them, I have this on the authority of a respected
veterinarian/nutrition expert.

If you are not giving your ferret "inappropriate treats" DO NOT START and
then they will not miss them.  Natural Fruit Flavor Pedialyte makes a great
'sweet substitute' if you think you want them to have something sweet, and
it is actually very safe.  Nutrical or Ferretvite are also good in this
respect, and it is hard to overdo with these.

Foods for Ferrets:

To anyone wanting "good" information on what ferrets really need in their
diet and the importance of feeding only quality foods, and how to find them,
I will send a copy of some information I have that is extremely good and
very enlightening.  Send a large, self addressed, stamped envelope to me at
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter 3801 Zion Hill Loop Weatherford, Texas 76088,
thanks.  If you want to get your ferret "unhooked" from an inappropriate
diet, let me know, I will include a guide sheet that WILL work for you.  I
promise, even the most stubborn kids, will switch if you use this method.

***This information is only intended to help, not to offend anyone.***

Trish