From:
David Weinreb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:41:16 -0400
What's with this increase in ferret relocation.  If you don't have time for
a fuzzball, don't get one.  If life is getting more stressful, that's an
excellent reason to keep your ferrets.  Watching them play and dook and
wrestle is a great way to unwind.  I really like playing with them.

We have 4 fuzzies and 2 dogs (plus a snake and a lizard).  My wife and I
work full time and the ferrets only get to play outside of the cage at night
and on weekends.  We let them out for only a few hours and they play for
awhile then find a place to snooze.  We have to hunt them down to put them
back, but they also come to the treat-can shake.  The litter gets changed
before work and in the evenings.  I know it's not the best life for a
ferret, being in a cage all day but it's better than discarding them.
The cage is a big one about 3' by 4' by 5' with food, water, hammocks,
platforms, etc.  They sleep during the day and look forward to their
nightly activity.  All seem healthy and happy.

I would never consider giving them up.  They are part of the family.  It
would like giving one of my kids away 'cause I didn't have time to play
catch with them.  Where is the commitment you made with that animal?  If
that animal was a danger to you or the family, then I can see relocating it.
But my ferrets are not a danger to anyone or anything but my toes and socks.

That's my venting for the day. Happy Ferreting.
Dave