From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 02:18:52 +0800
>From:    Krissy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Disappointed........and albino's

The outing sounded a little less than safe for the animals!

>The thing that worries me the most is that the 'ferret-as-pet' is a
>relatively new idea in Australia They are expensive at petshops, and the
>knowledge as to care seems to be very hard to come by.  Ferret groups are
>not listed in the phone book, though ONE is listed in a yellow pages,
>under animal welfare.  The regular phone book has a number that is no
>longer connected.

This is exactly what the US went thru (in the 70's and 80's) and is still
going thru!

>What qualifications if any, are required to do this sort of work??  Can I,
>though not completely 'ferret literate' set myself up as a non-profit
>center and rescue/shelter ferrets???

I will try to see if I can dig up some info for you on clubs in Victoria...
I am not sure what the clubs are, etc.  In WA, they request that all
rescues are turned into the club as they publish the number in the phone
book, list it with other shelters, list it with vets, etc.  consult the
clubs to see what their procedures are.  if they have none, THEN GO FOR IT!

Just because you are not "ferret literate" doesn't mean you can't learn and
become "ferret literate"!  You would not be hurting - but helping!

>Is caring enough???  AND.........do these people do enough to actively get
>the information "out there" to all the places we take our babies????
>e.g..vets, pet shops, SPACE?????

Have you seen information on ferrets from these clubs anyplace?  Then maybe
not.  Go out there and DO IT!  There is WONDERFUL information on ferrets
that you can put out for folks that don't know about ferrets.  And *I*
think caring is a step in the right direction.  Of course if you shelter
then you also need a good vet, space, time, etc.

>I am expecting to be flamed, but I am more worried that ferrets will
>suffer by either ignorance or inaction, and that is something that I am
>prepared to stick my 2 cents in for.

Why would you get flamed for wanting to help educate?  I think it is a
WONDERFUL idea!  Feel free to contact WAFFS for help on doing so.  I am
sure they would love to help you out.

You go girl! <g>

Amy Flemming
Perth, Western Australia