From:
Philip Langley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:33:10 +0800
Re Kylie Preisig's query and Pam Greene's reply :-
>... but according to a talk given by Dr. Judi Bell (author of "The Pet
>Ferret Owner's Manual" and former vet at MF), DEWs do tend to have harmful
>recessive traits, and breeding two of them generally results in stillborn
>or unhealthy kits.  This inability to "breed true" is, she says, the main
>reason they're uncommon.  Contradictions, even anecdotal, are welcomed. :)

I have read (I think it was in Fara Shimbo's book on reproduction) that DEWs
have a recessive gene which makes it virtually impossible for two DEWs to
mate successfully.  I have also read that most DEW females do not conceive
easily.  Certainly I had first hand experience with this as we mated Scully
last year and when she had that dreadful haemorrhage and died, we asked for
an autopsy and the vet found no trace of her being pregnant.  CJ, her mate,
also mated with our sable and silvermitt girls, and they went on to produce
a total of 18 kits between them, so it wasn't anything to do with him!

DEWs are pretty much in the minority over here and I gather, from speaking
to breeders, the way they do it is to have a DEW father and sable or
silvermitt mother - the litter then *usually* includes a couple of DEW kits.

Bill Killian said
>Deafness does follow the pattern (yes some can hear).

I must confess that's something I never knew.  All the DEWs I have been in
contact with, including Scully and Mulder, have had excellent hearing.

G'dooks to all

Nona
The Ferret Centre