Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:58:25 -0600
Stella is back from the vet after a very traumatic morning.  She has four
patches of fur shaved from her neck and arms where blood work was done, and
a big lump where subcutaneous fluids were injected.  Thank God her blood
sugar came back normal.

When I went into the hospital, Stella became very depressed and started
losing weight.  Because of the uproar my emergency condition caused, and
because I am the primary caregiver to the little snappers, it took a while
to realize she was getting thinner.  By the time I was released from the
hospital, Stella had lost considerable weight; she was putting it back on
when this new problem started.

Apparently, Stella developed a urinary infection I missed in my daily
inspections.  The beasties are allowed to roam most of the house, and I
didn't notice how depressed she had become Sunday (She was somewhat
depressed Saturday evening, but I thought it was because of all the playing
and new guys and driving.).  It was easy to miss; Stella is normally very
quiet and lovey-dovey, and she plays only when I insist, but then will take
on all comers.  I noticed she stopped taking food yesterday, so I started
feeding her thin duck soup and watered-down nutrical (I couldn't rule out a
bowel obstruction, so didn't force anything that could make things worse).
I stayed up with her all night, then took her to the vet this morning.

She is doing much better this afternoon, and is setting up and wanting out
of the pet porter, but I'm a hard nose and won't let her out unsupervised.
She will be getting injections of antibiotics twice a day, and is supposed
to eat small amounts of Hill's prescription diet Canine-Feline A/D hourly
(she doen't like it, but I squirt it in anyway).  She also gets 1/2 inch of
nutrical four times a day, and Pedalite instead of water.  She has started
to give me that look that says, "Get outta here; can't you see that I'm
sick?" so I am feeling better myself.

Stella thanks everyone who thought of her, as do I.

I might have mentioned that the fuzzies are now enrolled in a fitness
program.  I have tied wooden balls and brass bells to a string attached to a
dowel.  A ferret-pole, if you will.  Not one of the fuzzies can resist
chasing the "varmit" as it follows a predetermined trail up a ramp, across
the bench, a jump to the floor, then stand up and stretch.  Repeat until the
human is done or the toe-shark loses interest.  They get a treat each time
the course is completed, or when they look so cute trying that I give them
one anyway.  Sometimes several beasties will run the course at together,
which is a hoot when they all stand up and stretch at the same time.  I
change the course each time; I swear Tori learned the course after three
trys, and would run it on her own then come to me for a treat.  I couldn't
refuse--she earned it!

They also have five blocks placed in a row, and I have them leap (ok, its
just a big step, but someday it will be a leap) from one block to another.
Once they get this down, I will have them start climbing a ferret staircase.
Any other suggestions?

I took the master SPECIAL CERTIFICATE down to be reproduced, so let me know
where to send them (if you contributed a ferret term of affection).  If you
live in a FFZ, I can send them to a third party; however, nothing on the
mailing envelope will say ferret.  As I said before, everyone is a
winner....but "precious polywog frog dog" is one of my favorites.

I will have NO end time for this little thang, so anyone who sends me the
nicknames will get a SPECIAL CERTIFICATE, and at any time.

Bob
Moose, Stella, Daye, Tori, Bear, Foster, Buddy, Razz, and Apollo.
Stella says, "Look, I'm white under all that fur...I almost glow like
Bob."