From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 11:16:47 EDT
I have been in deep thought about the choices of the types of euthanasia
available to ferrets.  I've been through about three various ways myself.
I'm looking for the best way for Sean and Rocky and have already got some
ideas from others.  I wanted some imput here as well.  I think it's a
good topic that is useful anyway.  Here is what I've tried and the
results:

-sevo (I think) and a heart stick ... awesome results.  gorgeous.  But
the ferret was dying and taking its last breaths from JL anyway.

-oral med, then heart stick ... the worst.  Because the oral was worse
than flagyl to the ferret, it's last minutes it was frothing at the mouth
and heaving from the yucky taste.  Very ugly.  I can't remember the heart
stick I was so upset, but there were too many flinches, gasps, etc, after
the stick for my liking.  awful.

-injection into a vein, then heart stick ... the ferret was okay with the
injection it seemed, no burnging.  but I wasn't.  I took many sticks just
to find a tiny vein.  The heart stick went well, very peaceful.

-Iso and heart stick ... the heart stick was not good.  There was a lurch
from the ferret, and gasping.  Traumatic for me.  Can't figure it out
since the ferret seemed totally out.

I've been told that a shot between the shoulders for sedative, followed
by an injection into the abdomen is good.  When I asked my vet, she said
that was fine and that into the heart or into the abdomen was about the
same.  She said sometimes the medicine burns badly to the ferret between
the shoulders though.  I did not tell her what meds we were talking about
though... I was told:

- "2/10th cc acepromazine given sub-cutaneously in the shoulder, followed
15 to 20 min later by Sleepaway brand of sodium pentobarbital 1cc given
intrabdominally.  A deep coma ensues in a few minutes and death follows
within 15 minutes." This person had superb results with this.  Can the
first medication burn badly or anything?

Can the vets here, as well as people who are privy about specific forms
of euthanization give some imput here.  I think this is a useful topic
even if it's been covered before.

We are talking about Sean and Rocky!  Sean demands to be there.  I
need it as peaceful with the least amount of stress and reflexes as
pooooooossible.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com