From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:22:29 +0100
Paula Bryder wrote
>I read the IFNS report on declawing, and was disturbed by the
characterization of Dr K as 'boasting' about the number of declaw procedures
she performs.  I refuse to be drawn into a discussion of declawing, but I do
<snip> This doctor loves ferrets

When I read the above I felt like throwing up - I can't take stuff like
this at 7 a.m.  How can anyone justify amputating the first joint of a
ferret's toe in the name of ferret care.  It's a thousand times worse than
de-scenting!  If you really love ferrets you will accept them as they are
"warts an' all".  If folk can't accept that ferrets will dig or attempt to
dig holes surely to heaven they'd be better off keeping gold fish!

How about paying attention to Bob C's remarks on the subject of de-clawing.
I believe he said something along the lines of the muscle wastes because the
ferret can no longer walk properly.  (Sorry Bob if I've misquoted you).  I
watch my ferrets scaling up the mesh of their cages, they climb like little
monkeys, OK so they dig holes in the settee, big deal, so what?  They also
dug holes in the carpet - we no longer have a carpet, it's much easier that
way.

One British vet has stated that the removal of anal glands in dogs other
than for therapeutic reasons is considered unnecessary mutilation like
docking of tails, declawing in cats, firing in horses.  (BTW in this country
we haven't cropped dogs ears for yonks, probably went out at the same time
as docking horses tails!) Although the ferret is not specifically mentioned
in the RCVS Guide to Professional Conduct this vet states that she and the
vast majority of her colleagues would extrapolate this to include any
species which has anal glands and for that matter claws!  This veterinary
surgeon is more than happy to take the ferrets case to the higher pinions of
her profession.  She has the full backing of the NFWS - go for it Julia.

Julia, Ant, John, Mike and my vet Tony all think ferrets are great and none
of them would dream of carrying out such surgery as declawing and
de-scenting.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & National Ferret Welfare Society Newsletter Editor
http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm (Last Update 7 April 1998)
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill & Deanna Troi