From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 02:00:24 -0800
[Moderator's note: I'm posting this primarily because of the "PPS" at the
end.  In general, posts about computer worms and such are off-topic (and
so extremely numerous!) that they aren't accepted for the FML.  So... if
someone has a response about this for Ed, please mail it directly to him
as I likely will not accept it for the FML.

My ultra-short answer, since I'm discouraging responses to the FML but
already whetted your appetite is this:

Yes, with just about ALL virus programs just reading your mail isn't
enough to "contaminate" you.  You actually have to do something, like
open the attached documents in MS Word or Excel (in the case of a macro
virus), or, most usually, you have to actually run the program that gets
created when you download the attachment.  As long as you don't run the
program (e.g. by double-clicking it) you have nothing to worry about.

In the case of regular free juno mail this isn';t an issue anyhow since
the regular juno service doesn't support email with attachments.  They
have a pay "juno plus" or something which supports attachments.  BIG]

Regarding the Happy99 virus (or worm - whatever that is?) that we have
received as an attachment to the Washington State Ferret Mail Digest of
recent days (I haven't seen it nor am I aware of it)  What does it look
like?

You say it's an attachment.  OK, what's an attachment and how's it
recognized?  Also how does one open an attachment?  (You say not to open
the Happy99 attachment, did you not?)

I, as perhaps some few other computer illiterates, would certainly
appreciate a little bit of help here from you guys and gals who comprehend
this cybertech fundamentalism and who have the nack of "Telling it like it
is" for us at the "bottom of the gene pool" where I've been told I'm at.

PS.  Just yesterday I learned that downloading isn't enough but that one
has to "install" what one's downloaded.  Now that's just plain beyond me.
After downloading a so-called "improved" version of Freei.net, I simply
can't find it.  It should be somewhere in my computer (downloaded it 6
times!) and I'll be darned if I know where it went.

Thank you one and all,
Edward Lipinski @ Ferrets NorthWest FNW

 Was ich nicht weiss, macht mich nicht heiss. [G.] What I don't know
doesn't make me glow.

PPS.  With respect to the FML, I am unable to receive transmissions
therefrom, because in downloading (6 times) I've lost the ability to "tune"
the FML into my computer, so excuse me if I don't reply to postings on
the FML that concern my postings, because I don't know they're there.
Hopefully in a week or so, this will be corrected.  In the meantime you may
transmit to me via my juno address that is attached to this transmission.