Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 21:49:33 EST
You are all aware of the horrendous situation involving the death of the
ferrets in Spokane, WA.  There are a total of 93 dead.  37 ferrets have
survived.  The situation is extremely grave.  FFDRI Director Chere McCoy and
Internet Coordinator and Southwest Regional Director Gary Holowiki have
spent the last 24 hours talking with with various officials and individuals
regarding this incident.

Ferret Friends Disaster Response International at 7:00PM 12/4/97 officially
declared the incident in Spokane, WA a Disaster.  We shall respond
accordingly.

We realize that this is not a Natural Disaster but one which has been man-
made we feel that the gravity of the situation demands FFDRI Response be
swift .

In that vein we ask that all Ferret Friends join with FFDRI to lend
assistance in this tradegy.  Those of you who are members of the FML have
read the messages of the last several days and know more or less what has
transpired.  Those who are receiveing this message whom are not on the
Ferret Mailing List (FML) will have forwarded messaged with the particulars.

In the six years Ferret Friends Disaster Response International has been in
existance we have responded to 15 natural disasters.  Ferret Friends never
distinguished what species of animal were involved - Ferret Friends simply
responded to the needs of all Children of Fur, Feathers, Scales and Shells.

Because Ferret Friends have always been there when others need us, we are
asking for other organizations to help in our time of need.

Supplies and money are desperately need in Spokane, WA to assist in the
rescue and veterinary treatment of the 37 survivors.

Specifically Needed at the shelter:

I.V. Saline Solution  (ASAP)
Surgical Iodine  (ASAP)
Antibotics  (Amoxicillin, Clavamox)
Baby Food (Chicken)
Food:  Prescription A/D  (Canned)
Food:  Prescription Eukanuba Veterinary Diet (Canned)
Vitasol
Nutrical

Also desperatly needed:

Blankets, PIllow Cases, Sheets,

All the above supplies should be sent directly to the shelter at the below
address:

Ms. Jeane Smith
2523 E Wellsey
Spokane, WA  99207

Those who want to contribute to the Veterinary Care of the Ferrets (the bill
is astronomical)

Please Call
Washington State University Small Animal Clinic
AT: 509-335-0826 Ask to speak with Jane in the Billing Department (they take
VISA and Mastercard) Tell them the money is to go toward Jeane Smith's
Balance with Dr. Stauber.

Some I.V. Saline Solution and Surgical Iodine were donated this afternoon -
but not enough (only enough for four days).  These two items are desperately
needed NOW!

Many Ferret Friends have already responded to this tradegy and some supplies
are on their way to Jeane.  We have ask another organizations to provide a
grief counselor for Jeane (this is a definite immediate need).

Thank you ALL for your assistance in our time of need.

Chere McCoy
Director,  Ferret Friends Disaster Response International