From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 01:44:40 -0500
Sorry to all expecting e-mail but the last three days have been, well, quite
bad.  Not long ago I mentioned Simon's particular problems; well, it seems
at least nine of my ferrets have confirmed campylobacteriosis.  Simon was
the first I noticed, followed by Gus, Bear, Stella, Ballistic, Buddy, Daye,
Apollo, and Tori.  I have been up to my knews in nasty poop and sick little
ferts.

The sad news is, Gus passed over the Rainbow Bridge about 5 pm Wed.  after
struggling with the disease for about two days.  He was on two antibiotics,
was given lots of sub-q fluids, kaopectate, and duck soup.  He never
responded to treatment, and we both spent several hours at the vet trying to
pull him through.  Near the end, he developed muscle tremors and weakness,
as well as a loss of bowel control.  I took him home, and we were rocking on
the chair when he looked at me, sighed, and stopped breathing.

After composing myself, I did a necropsy and found very thick longitudinal
folds within the colon, one of the symptoms of proliferative colitis.
Tomorrow I shall section some of the samples to view the histology to
confirm the tenative diagnosis.  In addition, Gus's heart was malformed;
probably a birth defect, which certainly contributed to his rapid death. Gus
had lost 30% of his normal weight in less than a week; he only displayed
symptoms for two days.

I have started an aggressive treatment program for all 18 remaining ferrets,
including daily sterilization of bedding, litterbox, and cages.  All opened
food has been discarded in case that was the source of the original
infection.  All sick animals are strictly quarantined.  All uneaten food is
thrown away, and water bottle tubes and feeding dishes are sterilized daily.
All animals are being dosed with two antibiotics; sick animals are also
given kaopectate, a/d, nutrical, and duck soup.  Sub-q fluids are given as
needed.  I weigh each animal daily to monitor weight loss for clues to who
might start becomeing ill.

I haven't a clue as to how this mess started; I've checked with my friends
in New Mexico and Oregon, and none seem to have similar problems.  This is
_NOT_ ECE, even though some of the outward symptoms appear the same.  I will
notify you if I discover the source; in the meantime, I caution anyone I
visited to watch for the symptoms, and respond _QUICKLY!_ These are the
symptoms I noticed:

1) Loose stools, often watery, green, and/or blood tinged
2) Lowered activity levels
3) Anorexia
4) Sudden and severe weight loss
5) Dehydration
6) Muscle tremors and/or rigidity of hind quarters (won't bend legs)
7) Weakness and/or dragging hind legs
8) Grinding teeth/chewing tongue
9) Loss of bowel control
10) Fever
11) Thickening of bowel (you can feel a thickened bowel when pressing the
lower abdomen; hard to explain--just "roll" the innards between your
fingers)

Gus, a MF sable, was a sweet guy I adopted from Troy Lynn last year as part
of a group of four.  He absolutely loved chasing a "rat on a stick" and also
adored chase games.  He loved to jump, and would leap from the futon onto
any passing ferret, and occasionaly even Bastet the cat.  He never bit in
anger, and his play bites were very mild (he would hold your finger with his
teeth without pressure).  He was great friends with Simon, Moose and Bear,
and lately was making friends with Crys.  He didn't particularly like to
cuddle, but would sleep between your feet, or under your chair.  He loved to
sleep upside down in the beanbag, making a bowl-like nest in the center.  He
loved raisins, peanut butter, oreo crumbs, watermelon, and beef jerky.  He
was one of the few that could jump over the barrier to get into the kitchen;
he taught me how to ferret proof a house.  I loved him dearly, and will miss
him terribly.

If I had to pick a ferret I thought would not make it through this mess, it
would not have been Gus.  He was big, muscular, happy, and until this last
thing, never ill.  The progress and severity of his illness took both me and
the vet by surprise; I blinked and he was gone.  It was quite a shock; I can
still hardly believe it.  I know that I have a large ferret family, and
still have 18 more.  But I don't have one to spare.

Mo' Bob and 18 Ferret Friends