From:
Becky Poland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:47:44 -0500
I am reading all of these stories of ferret emotions and I just had
to chime in. Of course I take any opportunity to brag on my fur kids.

About a year and a half ago, I took in an unwanted ferret. I had some
in the past and their passing hurt me so bad that it took about 3 years
for me to decide that I was ready for more carpet sharks. it just so
happened that I mentioned it to a friend of mine who said his sister
had one she didn't want any more. This was Sid- about 3 years old,
bought for a 5 year old child, and was neglected. they really didn't
mean to I don't think, he had all high-quality food and a nice cage
(little small for my taste, but habitable) and good treats. Well-
anyway he had all the accoutrements that the furry boy needed, except
for a littler box, cedar shavings were in the bottom of the cage, and
I was told he was never let out of the cage!! Well, anyway, completely
appalled it took my new baby home and got him situated into a 4 level
ferret cage a with plenty of hammocks and a litter box- and tons of
out-time, whenever I am not at work. I found out which corner he liked
and moved the cage around to accommodate his preference, which made the
litter training a snap. My Mr. Sid did not like to play much or was not
as hyper as my other ferrets had been, he was very sweet and loving to
me and my boyfriend but he just seemed a little off- and slept all the
time. I couldn't figure it out since the vet said he was healthy. So I
got the idea that maybe another ferret might help him come out of his
shell and enjoy things a little more. Along came Princess Sassafras or
"Sassy" for short. a little 4 month old kit- more what I was used to
and loved in ferrets- into everything and crazy eve though Mr. Sid had
stolen my heart in the couple of months that I had him. Well, we took
Sid to meet Sassy before we brought her home, since I was worried
because he was not really socialized that much and she was to be his
cagemate, and he didn't attack her or hiss at her even though she was
being a typical kit so she was brought home. I drove. my boyfriend
carried the box with Sassy and we had the carrier with Sid was secured
in the back with the seatbelt. Well when we arrived home, after a
couple of days (quarantine over and Sassy moved in) Sid became sick
with a bacterial infection, so I took him to the vet. I held him the
whole time and soothed him, since he was very scared. After that Sid
refused to even look at my boyfriend at all. when he tried to pick Sid
up, he went stiff and if my boyfriend persisted, Sid would hiss at him
and stomp away. I am not sure what caused this but a year later Sid
still does not like my boyfriend- maybe that he carried Sassy home was
the trigger. Sid also treats Sassy like a little sister- I actually
witnessed him redirecting her to the littler box when she was going
to potty in another corner. He keeps her in line, but now they are
inseparable and Sid seems so much more ferrety.

Becky Poland
<http://www.clipart-free.com/clipart/ferret/tn_ferret.gif>

Loving Sid and Sassy and Sorely missing Scooter and Chyna.