From:
melissa hooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 06:37:44 -0500
Mary Jo, I have tried that with other small animals, and I'd suggest
that you don't do it.  Physically it was safe enough for the gerbils and
guinea pigs that I tried it with (not sure on some issues with ferrets,
but others can address that), BUT, when this stuff becomes soiled, it
stinks to high heavens!  So if you aren't there to scoop constantly, I'd
suggest going with the hardwood pellets.  They are equally as cheap (40
pounds for less than $4) if they are available in your area, and they are
MUCH better on odor control.  I found that, with the rabbit food, if I
scooped the cage before I left in the morning, and they used it while I
was gone to work, when I came home my house had this odor that I just
couldn't stand.  And that's during the course of just one work day.
Something about the break down of the pellets when hit by urine = very
nasty smell, IMO. :)

Melissa