From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:05:25 -0500
I finally had a few minutes today to call the NY health dept regarding their
rabies policy on ferrets.  (I had called them earlier this year, and they
were recommending kill and test at the state level.) This time I spoke with
the NY state public health vet ?Dr. Millie Endson?  (I'm sure I've butchered
her spelling.) They have changed their policy to recommend a 10 day
quarantine if the ferret is healthy.  They have notified local health
depts., but it will take time to change any legislation, and localities
still have the right to make local law (or policy) stricter than the states
recommendation, so it's still a good idea for folks to check to see what the
local policy will be.  (IMO, probably most, like Westchester County, will
simply follow the state recommendation, rather than set their own.).

This policy change is not available in writing at this time, as it has to go
thru various review/approval processes before they will distribute copies of
the policy change (outside of the health depts).  She was unable to give me
ETA on when it would be available, so I'll have to just check back in a few
weeks or so.  I have her direct # if anyone needs it, email email me
privately.

There is still a discussion going on as to whether in home quarantine will
be allowed/recommended as there is concern as to whether owners will be
able to see the symptoms of rabies in a ferret.

Yippeeee!!!!!!

-Ilena Ayala and the two rabies-free ferrets Polly and Katie

Katie: "Now *there's* a policy I can sink my teeth into!"
Polly: "To heck with the new policy, I want TOES!!!"