From:
Vickie McKimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:13:26 -0400
This is in response to Sukie's medical question concerning ferrets and
chicken pox.  To the best of my knowledge ferrets don't get them.  I had
a mild case of shingles this spring and a very severe case (causing Bell's
Palsy and permanent hearing loss in one ear) in December 1996.  Since I am
a single ferret parent (I mean one human, multiple mustelids), I am the
sole caregiver for all my fuzzbutts.  I had no problems with the ferrets
while I had shingles, and I have/had older ferrets (7-9 yrs) in house
during each episode.  Of course I treated it like any other cold or flu and
limited my exposure to the ferrets while contagious.  Food, water, poop
scoop, switch play groups, etc.  They told me it was stress (duh?) and to
de-stress my life (double-duh).  Sukie, I hope he's better soon!

Vickie
www.mindspring.com/~jbferret