From:
Sharon Pease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:02:59 EDT
Misspelling;
I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said "I have nothing but contempt for
someone who can only spell a word one way".

Pet stores;
It has taken us years and years and years, but we've finally gotten some
area pet stores to stop using wood chip bedding in the kits' cages.  It
doesn't sound like a big advancement, but I believe big things are
accomplished in little steps.  We must be patient, persistant, and
consistant in the efforts.  They will either see the logic of the evidence
or just get sick of being "pestered".  Either way we win.

It's happened;
Anyone who lives in NYS knows that as of last November a license is no
longer required for ferret ownership.  Our shelter has been prepared for the
influx of the impulse purchases and it's started.  In the past three days
we've taken in five and have made arrangements for the drop off of three
more, all between the ages of six and ten months old.

When the law passed we started doing monthly education shows in the hopes of
either preventing uneducated purchases or at least educating the people who
were at a loss for how to care for their new additions.  The shows have been
successful, but limited by the number of people we can reach.

SP