From:
Red Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:00:44 -0800
Update on the 9 CA ferrets and Neptune...

As your recently have read on the FML, there were a total of nine ferrets
confiscated as a result of being discovered by police who had gone into
the home because of a burglary.  We had asked that no one contact animal
control or F&G for good reason.

Please everyone, understand, animal shelters, police and F&G are only
doing their jobs.  They are not to blame for the law in CA.  You're
right, a police officer could have looked the other way when it came to
the ferrets, but when you have 4 or 5 officers at a scene, it's harder
to look away.  These police officers have a job to do, and they can't
risk it even if they disagree with the law, they have after all, families
to feed as well.

As far as the animal shelter goes, they too were just doing their job.
These ferrets, all nine of them came to me in very good shape.  They were
not starved, they were not hurt, about the only thing they were missing
was some play time out of their cage.

So please everyone, direct your energy at the Governator, not the people
who are just doing their job.  Calling the other organizations can
destroy the rapport we have with these people and could in the future,
prevent ferrets from being able to leave the state safely.

So, now that I have that out, about the nine ferrets; There is a group
of five un-descented ferrets, a group of three older ferrets, and single
seven year old boy.  The seven year old boy has already found himself a
permanent home in his current foster home.  I barely got to meet him.
The foster parents were at my house waiting when the ferrets arrived and
snatched him up before I had a chance to get to know him.  I have been
getting updates on him daily and he's doing wonderfuly.

All the others are doing great.  They were so well taken care of that
even at their older age, there is little I have to do.  I do have a
wellness check appointment for them on the 28th, but I'm doubtful my
vet will find much wrong.  maybe with the group of three that's older,
there might be some borderline insulinomas and I'm sure they are adrenal,
they all have a coarse and thinning coat.

Now, I have a group of three old kids, and a group of five un-descented
middle aged kids.  It'll be fun finding them all homes.  Miracles can
happen right?

And for those of you who live in CA and think the law isn't real, think
again!  This happened by chance.  A person's worst nightmare.  She didn't
do anything wrong other than take in older sickly ferrets who needed
forever homes that no one else wanted.  And you know what else, these
ferrets were microchipped by the shelter!  If anyone thinks that sneaking
ferrets back into CA after being confiscated is possible, think again,
it's only a matter of time before the other shelters catch on and it is
required by F&G.

Okay, now an update on Neptune.  I promise I won't make this as long as
my other post about euthanasia, but I did feel that everyone deserved
an update.

The two guys are not going to be charged with anything, as there was a
little boo boo with my contract and I can't really do anything to them.
The good news is, that my attorney has helped me re-write the contract
so that any future incidents can be taken in front of a judge and the
people in question can be punished.  Shelters, you may want to contact
me for this info, or perhaps find an attorney that will do this pro-bono
for you.  It really could be beneficial, I learned the hard way.

Okay, so the bad news is, the guys don't know this yet, and think I'm
still going to press some kind of charges against them.  Conicidently, I
have been getting some jerk, thinking he's funny, calling at all hours of
the night, saying nasty things.  Caller ID determined who this person is,
and a reverse phone number search on the internet helped me locate his
address, and it allowed me to call animal control to turn him him for
his alleged actions against animals, and it has also allowed me to file
a police report for harassment.

I am sure with this jerk, there are no animals involved, and it is a
direct result of the recent Neptune situation, and I'm convinced he is
a friend of the two guys and they think this is funny.

The police of course, aren't doing anything about it at this time, but
we are starting a paper trail, and if this continues, they will be able
to do something about it.  Hopefully, these immature and obscene phone
calls will cease, and soon.

I did put up flyers in hopes to find Neptune.  I got an email from
someone who gave me their name and address, and they live in the same
building as the two jerks.  He had told me that about five weeks ago, a
ferret came in through his cat door.  He spent about two hours with it,
and it offered it some cat food but it didn't want any.  Then the ferret
went out the cat door, and he has not seen it since.  He said the ferret
looked exactly like the one on the flyer, and gave me a further
description of him.  That means Neptune was not injured from the fall,
and one can hope someone else picked him up and gave him a loving home.
So, between the nine CA rescues, and the recent harassment issues, I'm
sure everyone understands why I haven't responded to any of the responses
like I wanted to.

Off to make ferret soup :)

October
www.renoferrets.org