From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:06:31 -0400
>One of my anthro profs will be on the show "The New Detectives" ...

A really cool show.

>Now, for a ferret question--how many of you have used the implanted
>electronic ID chips for your pets, especially ferrets?

I have one ferret who is Avid chipped.  I wasn't there when it was done, so
I don't know how he felt about it.  It certainly doesn't bother him now.  I
suspect they do feel it at the time of insertion, but in ferrety fashion,
they shake it (the discomfort) off and go about their business.  These chips
are even used for pet birds, and people have used them for birds as small as
the smaller species of conures.  Sometimes there is a bit of bleeding but it
soon stops.  Probably with ferrets there isn't even that, but someone else
will have to give you a first hand account (Alicia?).

>maybe I will have him for Thanksgiving!! ;-) Actually he likes to run right
>in front of the steam cleaner and vacuum, helps out a lot, makes me take my
>time.

Whenever I am vacuuming and the ferrets are out, they literally mob the
vacuum cleaner.  I'm not sure what's so attractive about a large noisy
object that most dogs and cats (well, except my sister's cat who actually
*likes* to have his body vacuumed with the brush/duster attachment, but
then, he's very odd anyway) would run screaming from.  I have to go slow so
I don't run them over with it while pulling it around. :)

>...I told Raven that I only cook Southern Thanksgiving, not no damn
>Yankee version, but that didn't let me off the hook.  So Mid Mo will be
>smelling good corn bread dressing, yams, homemade rolls, Turkey, and Pecan
>Pie for desert.  Margaret and The Mob

Yum.  Speaking as a damn Yankee, I can say that that menu sounds delicious.
The only difference I can see between it and a traditional Yankee
Thanksgiving is the corn bread dressing.  I usually go with regular bread
stuffing, but corn bread sounds yummy too.  I suppose "traditional" pie
would be pumpkin, but I actually like pecan better and my late great aunt
used to make the best pecan pies you ever tasted.  Double yum.

Karen and the Five Frenetic Ferreteers

Karen