From:
The Weyr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 18:01:12 -0800
Hi Nell (and other FMLers).

My sister is a professional equine competitor. She knows a great many
folks from various disciplines in the equine world including a couple
who buy prospective Olympic hunter jumpers from Belgium and neighboring
European countries and fly them to the US. Because of my sister's wide
range of friends through out the equine world I knew she'd have some
insight into bringing a donkey from Africa.

Nell, it is going to be more than difficult. I spent over an hour
following lead after lead to try to get to the bottom of the
requirements. Paper work and health documents have to be filed and
approved with the US in a specified time frame before the donkey
arrives. It appears he/she may only enter the US through New York
City and there is a long quarantine there.

I hate to be discouraging to you and all the FMLers donating to the
cause, but moving a mountain looks easier.

<http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/equine/equine_import_quarantine.shtml>

I suspected trying to bring in an equine from an 'undeveloped' country
was going to be a nightmare - moving competition horses from show
to show between states requires several types of documents and
immunizations, so I thought I'd ask.

Sorry.

Brenda