From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 01:09:20 EST
To Paula and interested parties:
Regarding subcutaneous fluids, I will first reiterate that I am not a vet,
but a vet tech.  The following is personal experience and is not meant to be
interpreted as medical advice.

I find subQ fluids to be invaluable in saving or rehabbing sick ferrets.  My
mainstay is a 1000 ml bag of 2.5% dextrose and 0.45% sodium chloride because
generally I'm wanting to feed ferrets that have poor appetites and are run
down.  The dextrose feeds and can even maintain a sick ferret that is not
taking in food by mouth.  The ferret may also be losing salts through
diarrhea and the sodium chloride stimulates cell function and replaces lost
essential nutrients.  I like to use 35cc syringes and 22 gauge needles.  I
usually have to order this special size syringe but its a manageable size
and still gets a lot of liquid into the ferret.

To draw from bag: hang bag at shoulder level.  Put needle on syringe and
pull back to fill 1/2 way with air.  Put air into bag through nib at bottom
or side of bag (ask your vet where to draw if unsure).  This extra air helps
to force fluids into syringe.  Draw fluids into syringe by pulling back
firmly.  Fill to 3/4.  Remove needle, be sure syringe has a little air in
it, microwave about 7 seconds or until fluid feels warm but not hot on
wrist.  Warm fluids sooth patient and cause less distress when administered.
Replace needle and keep loosely capped.

To administer: Lay ferret on soft, warm towel on table.  Squirt any excess
air out of syringe.  With ferrets head facing to left, scruff neck skin with
last three fingers and palm of left hand and lift skin off shoulders with
index finger and thumb.  With syr /inge parallel to body, insert needle
under "tent" of skin between index finger and thumb.  Inject fluids.
Note:ferret skin can be very tough and you may have to push the needle
firmly.  You can also inject fluids in the loose skin just behind the front
legs.  The fluid will form a balloon,which is normal.  The rate at which the
fluid disappears and is absorbed by the body will tell you how often this
needs to be done.  A dehyrated ferret may need as much as 120ccs at a time.
Test for dehydration by lifting shoulder skin and seeing if it stays up or
rapidly returns to normal.  If it remains pulled up or is slow to return,
the ferret is dehydrated.

Always use a clean needle to draw fluids and inject.  There is no need to
sanitize the injection site, but it may be done with a little alcohol if
needed.  I find the cold alcohol does more harm than good because it upsets
the ferret.  If the ferret struggles, it may be lifted off the table by the
scruff to inject the fluids.  This description is for one-person
administration, and a second person may be helpful--one to scruff and one to
inject.  Better to use too much fluid than too little.  Excess fluids will
be eliminated by the body.

If I have left any questions, feel free to contact me directly or via FML.
                            Best Regardss,
                                        Carolyn Kinsey, VT

[Moderator's note: I'm not a vet either.  But I'm not happy to see this
here.  Granted, SQ fluids can be very valuable, but I *strongly* suggest
the procedure be reviewed with your vet.  In my opinion, there are some
serious potential problems in the above note:
 - Too much fluid can kill too: more isn't necessarily better
 - Warming in a microwave is risky if done improperly due to uneven heating
 - The vet should determine the proper fluid - don't assume 2.5% D/W and
   salt is optimal for YOUR ferret.  Giving such a mixture to, say, a
   diabetic ferret, may not win you fame and fortune.

Although people's techniques for administration may differ, I DO feel it's
valuable that notes such as Carolyn's are posted - I think it's very
supportive to show people that it *can* be done at home.  But, please,
carefully, and under the direction of someone familiar with what ails
your ferret?  BIG]