From:
T Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:10:45 EDT
Hello all!  I am relatively new to the LISTSERV and have really enjoyed
reading all the posts about the fuzzies. :o)  I've picked up some valuable
info along the way, too.  Unfortunately, I am now in need of that sound
advice myself.

Let me set the situation up as succinctly as possible.  Parker is a male,
about 3 years old, and although he gets a lot of attention from me, about
two months ago I decided to finally get him (and myself) another playmate.
I went to a local shelter operation and chose another male from a litter
of 9.  At only 8 weeks old, Presley was a bundle of energy...I'd forgotten
how much more hyper the babies are!  Aside from the usual introductory
"alpha" behavior, the two of them got along famously.  Played all the time
(although Presley wore Parker out!).  About 2-3 weeks after introducing
Presley, Parker began to exhibit signs of ECE.  I've never dealt with this
before but know enough about it from all the literature.  Got him to the
vet and sure enough, that's what he had.  Seems Presley must be a carrier
(although he seems to be immune, luckily, as he's shown no signs of it
himself).  After a couple of rough weeks with Parker--he lost tons of
weight, wouldn't eat, wouldn't even take the Nutrical, and fought me on all
the meds--he finally got on the road to recovery.  Now he eats and drinks
normally, and the obvious signs of ECE have disappeared; just need to get
his weight back up.

My problem is this.  Although it was a good month ago, Parker's behavior
has completely changed since the illness.  He doesn't have energy at all,
it seems.  He refused to play with Presley, hissing when Presley tries
(although they are fine snuggling together in the cage).  He doesn't want
to play with me, either.  Most of the time, when out of the cage, he mostly
lays around and looks at me, unless running from Presley.  Lots of times
he'll come and lay by my feet, although when I pick him up he won't let
me hold him.  Sometimes when I open the cage door he even chooses to stay
inside.  This all has me very worried.  Can illnesses change ferrets
psychologically?  Could he be "angry" with Presley?  Angry with me for
forcing all that medication into him?  Not only am I worried but it's
breaking my heart....I miss my old Parker!  I feel so guilty because I got
another fuzzy so Parker wouldn't be bored or lonely and now it seems as if
things were only made worse. :-(  If anyone could shed some light on this
I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Traci