From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 13:36:16 -0400
Well, folks, I hate work. I've hardly had any time to read the FML, let
alone respond to some things, but I'm going to make the effort now.

Insulinoma
-----------

I know Pam Grant mentioned Ian in one of her recent postings, and I can
give you the stuff first-hand. July 31, 1992 Ian went to see Dr. Tom
Kawasaki and had *nine* islet-cell tumors removed. For almost two years
he was completely fine, and then last spring he began to show signs of
relapse. So, indeed, he went in for a second surgery, at which time Dr. K
could find no islet cell tumors, but took samples of what he thought may
be scar tissue, just to be sure. Ian was fine for another six and 1/2
months; his downslide was relatively quick. My recommendation: Get
the surgery done. Insulinoma is an ugly disease to have to live with, and
it's a long drawn-out process in some cases, but I DO NOT regret taking
Ian in for even his second surgery. If I hadn't, I never would have
forgiven myself. My theory on his death was he probably just had so many
itty-bitty tumors all over his pancreas that Dr. K couldn't even find them.

GD's
-----

I've seen many posts about the green diarrhea stuff lately, and there
were a couple of posts that stuck in my head about people being fearful.
Yes, the "greenies" are nasty, but if you are watchful, and have good
veterinary care, you should be fine. When they originally broke out a few
years ago, I got them almost immediately (Va. was one of the prime
breakout areas). The only ferret who actually became ill was Elektra,
mainly because she was 6. Yes, she was dehydrated, yes, she wouldn't eat,
but she never even went to the vet. Constant care and handfeeding with
Duck Soup and she was (and is, at 8+) fine.

No one else ever became ill, except for Max (baby), who had exactly one
day of green diarrhea after being exposed to the virus. Now his mom
should have been exposed to the virus as well by that point, so I don't
know if he had some kind of immunity already and that's why he didn't get
sick. But it certainly doesn't explain the other three.

Broken Tooth
-------------

Elektra was a shelter ferret I adopted almost five years ago. She was
about 3 at the time, and had a broken canine that had been broken for a
while. In five years, her tooth has not caused her a bit of problem. So
just keep an eye on those broken teeth and if anything changes color, go
to your vet.

Hi to Meg Carpenter!
-----------

Hi Meg! Welcome aboard the FML! Don't give up on that computer yet, you
can definitely get the best of it ;).

By the way (otherwise known as BTW on the 'net), you bought me a purple
dinosaur squeak toy for my fuzzies a while ago when you joined Pam and I
at a ferret demo (P.T. Moran, I think). I just want you to know that
Claudia *hates* it. And that's what makes it the best squeak toy I have
-- I can get her running from *anywhere* when she hears it! :)

Sorry so long, guys! That'll teach me not to let the FML get away from me!
;)

Amy & Dave (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)