Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:10:24 -0800
Well, I have finally put my foot down.  I can no longer take in any more
ferrets from pet stores to foster - it is getting way too chaotic and my
hubby is not enjoying it at all.  I have been taking kits that are shipped
way too young home from a few pet stores and fostering them until they are
old enough to eat regular food, etc... Yesterday, I decided that this was
becoming ridiculous and when I think about it, I have kind of been "used"
by these stores and I will not continue to do this because all it does is
encourage the stores to spend less time taking care of their
responsibilities.  I will continue to educate them, but somewhere, the
cycle has to be broken.  I was promised by two stores that they were
cutting off the farm that was shipping them so young, but they have not.
What other groups decide to do is their choice, but they are feeding the
cycle.  It took awhile to realize this, but it is happening.  I was so
wrapped up in my concern for the ferrets, that I lost sight of the
objective in all of this.

My hubby finally told me "no more" because he felt it was taking away time
I spend with our own ferrets - he is right.  This brings me to a question
(and a concern).  Those of you who are not shelters and own 10+ ferrets,
how do you spend one-on-one time with each one?  How do you tell when one
is ill if they all use the same litter box?  It is hard enough for me to
tell whose poops are whose and I only have three ferts.  I know somebody
that has 21 ferrets (mainly wanted one of every color - kind of a
"collector") and it concerns me because this person (even though they do
not work) is not home all the time and I just cannot see how they spend
time with each ferret.  If there are only 24 hours in a day, how do you
spend individual time with each of the ferrets?  Call me whatever, but I
feel that having these animals is a gift and I spend lots of time with EACH
one by themselves and also as a group.  Is individual attention valuable to
them?  I do not know.  What I do know is that if you do not have enough
hours in the day for so many, you should not keep acquiring them.  People
who "collect" ferrets (I have seen some on other lists) need to have their
heads examined.  I am sure some of you who have many, are not like this and
that is why I am curious how you do it.

You can flame me if you want, but keep in mind, I am asking a question of
those who have 10+ and how they manage their "fur" time.

Take care~