From:
Jim Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:32:55 -0800
Sandee,

Today, (Monday 2-16-04) we said goodbye to one of our "permanent" shelter
ferrets.  He has been with us since April '02, and was 4 years old when
he came to us.

When he came into the shelter, he went into a depression, and we thought
we were going to lose him.  He wouldn't eat, wanted nothing to do with
anyone, man nor beast.  We figured that since he was dumped after
spending the first 4 years of his life with someone, he had the right to
be depressed.  He finally started to make the turn, and started to eat
and put his weight back on.

In April he came to us, and after putting his weight back on, he went in
for Adrenal surgery.

Everything went fine (lt.side) and he came home with us.  He spent a day
or two in the sick cage, and then he wanted out.  We let him out of the
cage, and returned him to "free roam" status, which made him and Mr.
Wiggles very happy.  (They were best friends)

Mr. Burton didn't have the easiest life, but for the last two years, we
tried to make him safe and happy.  We found him good friends to play and
sleep with, plenty of treats when he asked for them, and tried to show
him that he was indeed loved.

Last month, (Jan) it was apparent that something was not right with our
little friend.  His eyes were not as bright, his coat looked ragged and
he was getting thin.  We took him to see Dr. Katie, took xrays, and
found what appeared to be a growth near his intestines.  Recomendation;
exploratory surgery to see if we could remove the growth.

The surgery showed a massive tumor growing all around a section of his
intestines.  There was nothing we could do.  They sewed him back up, and
we brought him home with us, and waited for him to tell us when he was
ready to go.

We spent as much time with him as we could, cuddled with him and told him
we loved him.  All we asked of him was to go peacefully, or to let us
know when he needed help.

Well, this weekend, he let us know that he was ready.

He made it thru the weekend, with little discomfort, and we made
arrangements with Dr. Katie for first thing Monday morning.  Shelter mom
said her goodbyes all morning, and then I took Mr. B to the vet.  Dr.
Katie was very gentle, talked to Mr. B, gave him a kiss and then gave
him the help he was asking for.

He went to sleep in my arms.  No more pain, no more labored breathing and
no more bleeding.  Just peacefull sleep knowing that he was loved.

Sandee, please help Mr. B find Oliver, Fancy, Leo, Seth, Gabby, and
Fuzzie.  Tell them to help him make a nice comfy den, somewhere dark.
(he loved mom's dresser) Also tell him we love him and miss him already.

"Mr. Burton" 03-04-98 to 02-16-04

Missed by Dad, Mom, Mr. Wiggles, Daisy Mae, Linus and Zues

Ferret Rescue of Maine
A State licensed, 501c3 Non-profit shelter.
Donate to shelter ferrets by clicking
igive.com/from