From:
Melissa McDaniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:20:14 EDT
(sent this a few days ago and haven't seen it, so I thought I'd send it
again)

OK, tooth fairy (check), Santa Clause (check) Angels (check)
So far, off the top of my head I can think of three entities we (as
adults) are allowed to either believe in or encourage children to believe
in.  As for myself I see nothing wrong in it.  My personal religion
doesn't believe in a creator or supreme being, or in the Christian
holidays, but you know, I've met some really wonderful people here who
are Christian who have been really interesting and fun to talk to.  Also,
I have a six year old, and I would hate for him to feel left out during
the holidays, so we put up a tree, decorate, Santa brings presents and he
learns about the spirit of giving and learns a little about a different
faith.  We may not believe in the religious basis of the holiday, but we
can find something in it that we all can benefit from.  It's the same
with the rainbow bridge.  Some people like the comfort of believing in a
place where their pets go.  I find the posts to be very touching, and
when I can I email the person whose experienced the loss to convey my
sympathy.  That doesn't mean I approve or disapprove the idea of the
bridge, but I respect it highly as a method of coping with grief.

Personally, and I know my beliefs will not be the same as others, but my
religion embraces death as well as life.  We are all here for a limited
time and we must make the most out of what we have been given.  When I
experience the death of a beloved pet I have a specific routine.  I do
feel sad for the loss, but I know that I never really "owned" my pet, I
was fortunate enough to share my life with it for a short period of time
and I grieve the fact we will no longer share special moments together.
BUT here's where my beliefs may differ.  I live every day aware of both
life and death around me.  Little things die every day to make room for
new things.  They have to.  When I bury a beloved pet I plant a seed with
them.  I understand the biological process that will occur and I know
that what once was the body of my baby will become something new.  So
when the seed grows and blooms into a beautiful flower.  I know that my
baby is part of that flower and without her it would not exist.  My
animals live on forever in that way.  As for her spirit/soul.  I know we
will meet again.  Maybe in this life, maybe in the next.

Buddhists believe in reincarnation so maybe the spirit that was once was
my curious energetic lovable ferret Kiki, will return as a fanatical
ferret owner like myself.  Fanatic-It's just a word.  It means what you
want it to mean and if I say I am a fanatic and those around me see the
compassion and love I treat others with then that is what the meaning of
fanatic will become to those around me... Inner peace is where you find
it.  If you don't find it in one spot, look elsewhere.  My source of
inner peace may not be the same as yours, but I will rejoice with you
when you discover yours.  Om, Peace and Amen to all of you Melissa