From:
Dayna Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 03:44:00 EDT
 Hi Everyone..

I have read the debate concerning recliners on the fml for many weeks now..
I would like to offer a bit of my own thinking on the subject if I may..

 I do not mean to criticise any ones opinions or views or decisions on this
subject.. so if I offend anyone please remember this is my own personal point
of view and that is all it is...  not a judgement nor a 'know-it-all' attempt
to sway others..  just my own view and not meant to offend in any way..
 ********

We all make little trade-offs in life..  like putting the antique dresden
china away in a high cupboard instead of on display on the coffee table,
when the children [or grandchildren etc.  ] are very small and
'look-with-both-hands' ages.  And we don't have a two seater sports car for
our only vehicle when we have eight kids at home and very young..  And we
keep anything poisonous locked away when our children are young or we have
pets inclined to get into them [ie: the post about anti-freeze, a very often
pet killer in most areas of the world]..  there are dozens of examples of
the trade-offs we make in the home..  and business people know they have to
trade comfortable cut offs and old shirts for a suit when they get to the
boardroom meeting stage of their careers..  etc.  etc.  etc.,...

I think the recliner issue boils down to just another trade-off we have to
make in life..  ferrets, being of the nature they are..  and recliners being
what they are... the two do not mix..  no amount of care can keep this piece
of furniture from being a hazard... We do not keep loaded firearms or
poisons out in ready reach of little children... because we know that no
matter how watchful we are or carefully we keep track..  it only takes a
moment of distraction to produce a tragedy..  so it seams with recliners...
Perhaps it is best said..  if you want ferrets, you must trade off that
ownership with not having recliners..  and if you must have recliners then
ferrets are not for you... just as if you want poisons and guns out and
available then kids may be unwise for your lifestyle..

Humans are perverse critters..  we want our furniture and toys etc.  and
resent being told we cannot have them... but truly..  is that recliner so
very urgently important??  is it so critical to own one??  or is it just the
old human thought process that says 'if someone says you can't, then by
George, you will anyhow, come He** or highwater'...

I do not believe one single ferret owner would deliberately endanger a
ferret!!  so I must ask..  is this one piece of furniture, out of the
millions available, so terribly important???  or is it just a case of
'nobody is gonna tell me what I can and can't have in MY home!'?...

anyhow.. its something to think on...
******

as I said.. I do not mean to offend anyone.. and if I have, please accept my
apologies..

dayna and the Woozles

"Resident of... Marvelous Menagerie Of Mirthful Mayhem"
dayna frazier  102046,3162  11-Aug-1996  00:35:44 PST