From:
David Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 20:48:28 -0700
Well folks,

I tried... They are just set in their foolish ways, and she wouldn't even
answer any of my questions... I would still love to see the citations for
this feral ferret business!!!  Also, would love to hear of studies done in
legalized states of feral ferret damages to native species!  Ms. Mullin, are
you listening?  Or are you selectively hearing me?  As for non-native
introductions, aren't 99% of species (mammals, birds, herps, fishes, etc.)
sold in pet stores in California and all across the nation non-native?
Hello?  Anybody home?

David Doyle

Her letter:
"June 6, 1997
Dear Mr. Doyle:

Thank you for your recent comments about Sierra Club California's opposition
to AB 363 (Goldsmith), which would permit the ownership of domestic ferrets
as pets.  I am sorry to hear of your disapproval of our position.  Our
position on this issue, like all the positions that the Sierra Club takes on
legislative issues, was carefully considered by a committee of volunteer
member activists.

The Sierra Club believes that California cannot take the risk that a feral
population of a non-native species could become established in this state.
California has the highest number of endangered species in the continental
United States, and the Sierra Club opposes any measure that would weaken
protection of native wildlife.  Though AB 363 calls for all ferrets to be
spayed or neutered, that would be difficult to regulate; and even individual
ferrets could have an impact on biodiversity.  California has strong public
policy restricting the import of non-native species, and the legalization of
ferrets would set a dangerous precedent for weakening that policy.  The
Sierra Club spends a lot of time trying to repair the damage done by
non-native species in fragile ecosystems, and we feel that, where possible,
we must try to prevent any further such damage.

Sierra Club California's policies are created by the California Legislative
Committee, a group of volunteer activists, under the guidance of local
chapters, regional groups, and the statewide Conservation Committee.  The
Club's positions are extensively reviewed and discussed and democratically
decided upon, but they cannot always reflect the opinions of every member.
The Legislative Committee recently reconsidered its position on AB 363, and
decided to continue its opposition to that bill.

Thank you again for communicating your view.

Sincerely,

Megan Mullin
Legislative Aide
Sierra Club California"

[Moderator's note: This is a "stock" reply they've sent out lately to anyone
complaining about their stance.  BIG]