From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:10:00 -0500
Mustelids are the last major branch to arise from the canine (dog) branch
of Carnivora.

Vevirrids like the mongoose descended from the feline (cat) branch of
Carnivora a bit more recently.

Isn't paleontology great?  It gives all sorts of info.

For ANYONE there is a FUN book (and there is even a video set worked from
the book) called _The Velvet Claw_.  I can see on a quick check that
Amazon has it listed in the UK section of the company (I am working
thorugh a blaring headache) so check there and elsewhere.  It's very
affordable and incredibly enjoyable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0563208449/qid=1101394493/
sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_8_2/202-0678850-4746206

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004CNIX/202-0678850-4746206

Ohhhhhhhhhh...  Lookie:
http://www.bobpickett.org/velvet_claw.htm

Scroll down to mustelids!

Note sections like this quoted excerpt:
>Mustelids are the most recent offshoot of the dog branch.  They share
>an ancestor with the procyonids, or raccoon, family.  Along with most of
>the related procyonids and bears, the mustelids developed in Eurasia,
>differing from the dogs that developed in North America.  The same
>cooling world climate that affected other carnivoran families about 30
>mya, accelerated the opening of forests, enabling the spread of
>herbivorous mammals.  These mammals were small and became burrowers in
>order to escape from the larger carnivores.  The evolution of mustelids
>followed two directions.  and so on.

Alexandra just thought, "Hmmm, Poof.  Puff.  Yep.  Got it!" Silly lady!
 ;-)