From:
Mary Ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:09:48 EST
For ADV testing forms you can print them out and get more info at:
http://www.ferret-universe.com/health/adv.html#test

My name is Mary Ann and I share my life with 3 exceptional Fuzzbutts
(and 2 Mainecoons and 2 human (I think) teenagers.  I have sent in blood
samples for confirmation on that.

Anywho-I have been in NJ for for 7 years (reluctantly displaced downtown
NY'er)  However I see why now I was meant to be in NJ (so my Fuzzies could
teach me stuff, wouldn't have that choice if still in NYC)

My boys Anthony and Ferris joined us about 2 years ago and Lulu our baby
(4mos) crashed on the scene about a month ago.  Most blessedly for Lulu
we love her and she is extremely sweet cause she certainly has challanged
us shall we say?  Me I should say---you know the human (not yet confirmed)
children do nothing for the Fuzzies---much to busy having a wonderful,
carefree life driving their mother closer and closer to considering
hospitalization as a spa type retreat.  A week after Lulu joined us 2
things happened-first she made it known to the boys that this lifestyle
was way to complaisant for her tastes and decided to bust herself and the
boys from their confines and go on a great adventure into the dangers of
freedom in an apartment.  I know my heart is still sitting in my stomach
and I have yet to recover from my entering the apartment that day.  The
little Houdinetta somehow figured out the security on my very nice (never
a concern with the boys for 2 years) Martins cage!  Someone or ones were
looking out for my babies and I was actually able to locate the little
convicts with their squeeky toy (mommy has a treat)trick.  They also owe
their lives to The Big cats--who probably kept them so busy they couldn't
really get into too much trouble.  There are now about 100 Cable Cuffs on
the doors.

OK that's Chapter 1

ADV Story---
Chapter 2- Around that same time (and yes I have started having a glass
of wine with just about every meal now) ok,not breakfast) I found out that
another ferret purchased at the same store as Lulu had died of ADV!!!!
This was confirmed through my speaking to the treating vet.  So let the
testing and freaking and crying begin!

First test submitted to Avecon ADV Blood ELISA---returned negative for the
boys and a weak positive for Lulu :(   Babygirl had been living with the
boys for about 3 weeks at the time of this test.

What to do?  Well, my personal style is to freak first--then ask
questions--- and I asked and wrote and spoke to plenty wonderful folks.
What an incredible ADV support system thre is out there!  Thank you all
so much :)

Next tests- 2 Avecon Quick check Saliva---both negative.  Next and most
recent test--United blood test---resulted Negative.  Apparently this does
not really tell me a hell of a lot.  I am to assume she still may be
carrying it/exposed to it/or fighting it---Or perhaps just shedding
it--Nice right?  So for now things are somewhat copacetic---I will retest
in a few months, and see.

I continue to be optimisticly cautious-with her.  She is as strong as an
Ox (a baby Ox)  But apparently that does not tell me anything.....I hate
ADV.  But more than ADV--- OK, no I cannot say I hate anyone...I really
DISLIKE people who share their lives with ferrets and are resistant to ADV
education and testing.  I have met many since this saga started.  I think
more people need to know it can be quite cheap--if you have your vet pull
the blood but submit it yourself to the lab.

It is just so scary to me to think---IT COULD BE spread through the
breeding farms---IT COULD BE the distributor(s) IT COULD BE the pet
store---IT COULD BE a ferret owning employee---IT COULD BE a loving ferret
owner- visiting the shop and handling babies (not knowing they have a
positive at home) Or ferret shows or at the vets office... I hate this
situation---I am not a gray area person and there are just TOO MANY COULD
BE'S!!  OH!  and do not forget to mention---IT COULD BE the test results
are false, Oh I hate this.

OK so there it is.  Nice to meet you all Oh and big surprise here-I failed
my most recent Exam last night in school, yeah, big surprise.

Mary Ann

For ADV testing forms you can print them out and get more info at:
http://www.ferret-universe.com/health/adv.html#test

On the United form it says $15 but they have reduced the price to $10
You must call the # on the form to let them know the blood is coming.
There is no reason for a vet to charge you more than 20 tops to pull
the blood and pack it as the forms instruct.  YOU ship it 2nd day air
yourself-so the whole thing should not run you more than 20 vet-,10
test(Avecons is 12) and maybe 12-15 for shipping.  Good Luck