From:
Peg Francisco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:20:05 -0400
I've never met Lisa, but her post regarding transdermal pred, on a
fairly recent FML, has made one ferret's life infinitely better!

My friend Sandy has a big friendly boy with insulinoma. His name is
Durango - affectionately called Duh. He's been on oral pred for over a
year. His symptoms were well controlled, but it was a constant battle
to get him to take it. No matter what flavor it was compounded with, he
fought. He changed from his lovey self to a guy who didn't want to be
snuggled or loved, since he equated that to the nasty medicine. He
stopped playing and didn't want to eat, and started avoiding hands and
hugs.

Sandy contacted her vet with the info Lisa provided. The vet said
"Let's try it". The compounding pharmacy was very helpful.

The medication is a thick cream provided in syringes (no needle) that
do not need to be refrigerated. The outer portion of Duh's ears is
gently washed with a warm washrag, then dried. Meanwhile, he is getting
massaged and loved on. Sandy puts on a rubber glove or finger cot and
expels the correct dosage of cream onto her index finger. This gets
rubbed onto the front part (no hair) of Duh's outer ear. He gets an
ear massage, hugs and loves. And that's it. No scruffing or struggling.
NO STRESS!

Duh had stopped giving kisses. Now he washes Sandy's face, he's eating
well and looks for his friends to play with.

We had done what we thought was best for Duh by giving the oral pred.
It kept his symptoms under control, but had diminished his quality of
life because of the stress that was caused by it's administration. With
the transdermal, Duh is like a different ferret. It's obvious by his
behavior that he's a much happier guy!!

Lisa, you are a hero to Durango, and Sandy and I are so glad that you
posted the info on the FML. I've included a portion of your post here.

"The proper dosage of transdermal prednisone would be concentrated to
an administration of 0.05cc twice per day, for a total of 0.1cc per
day. Whatever mg/mL your ferret needs, should be compounded to the
ratio of "per 0.1cc" per day. ( Example: 3 mg/mL ) that way when
administering 0.05cc twice per day, at the end of the day the ferret
has received the full 3mg/mL (mL is equal to cc to help with any
confusion)"

It's got me wondering what other treatments we accept as "standard"
for ferrets that may be maintaining them while also diminishing their
quality of life in the process?! Please post any thoughts you might
have...

Peg Francisco, Sandy Sampsel and a very grateful Durango ferret