From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1993 03:40:48 -0500
RE:  Ferret who only eats grocery store brand food -

Lynn-Anne,

In my position I get lots of samples of cat/ferret food (at least
I used to, many companies aren't as free with their samples any
more).  Since I had about 8 different kinds of food sitting around,
one day I decided to run a taste test to see what my ferrets really
liked the best.  This was about a year ago, and I didn't have all
the types of food (for instance Kaydee ferret food and regular
Purina Ferret Chow).  Here are the results, which were posted at
the time on the list:

--- begin inserted text ---

I conducted this test with 8 different types of food.  I put 1/3 cup
of each in seperate bowls, then just watched the order in which they
were consumed.  You should also note, that there were only two subjects,
Percy and Bree.

Max Cat - adult
Max Cat - kitten
Pro Plan - growth
Nip Chee Crackers (Hey!!  Where did they come from???  O.K., I never said
                   this was scientific...  :-) )
Iams - adult
Iams - kitten
Purina Mini Friends Ferret Chow
Science Diet - kitten
Bil Jac - adult

The first three (four) were consumed fairly sequentially, showing a definite
preference for each.  The last five had quite a bit of overlapping.

--- end inserted text ---

Try Nutro Max Cat/Kitten or Purina Pro Plan, as they seem to be the most
flavorful.  Science diet is very bland, and I've heard several pet owners
and vets complain that pets tend to not like it as much.  Many of the
grocery store brands are very high flavored, so your ferret may go
for one of the more flavored pet store brands.

When you go to the store for food, try to go to a store that sets out
samples, and just pick up one of everything.  Call ahead, explain
your situation, and ask them if they can set some aside for you or
ask the distributors for extra samples (if possible talk to a manager,
sales clerks probably won't be able to help you).  As a general rule,
any pet store food is going to be better than grocery store food.
Just check the label to make sure that animal products are the most
important ingredient.  And, stay away from fish-based food.

If all else fails, maybe you could try grinding up some of the grocery
store brand and sprinkling it on the pet store food.  Maybe just the
hint of that flavor will entice your little albino to eat it.

But, no matter what, don't let your other ferret eat the grocery store
food!!!  If you can't get the albino to eat the good food, then you will
have to set aside a feeding period for her, two or three times a day
for about 20 minutes each should suffice.  Do not leave the grocery
store food out for all of them to free feed on it, and make sure they
can't get to it during her feeding time.  Don't make your other
ferrets sick, too.  (make a schedule such as:  when you get up,
after work, and before bedtime set her aside with her food)

How long have you let her go hungry with the pet store foods that
you have tried?

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets