From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 11:29:20 -0400
In our earliest years with ferrets we used the smell of toothpaste (not the
taste) as a training aid, but we dropped that a long, long time ago.  Since
you are trying it as a last-ditch bite preventative would something safer
and less of a problem, but with a strong taste of mint work?  (Many of these
have an alcohol base with should evaporate off while on your skin, but maybe
not fast enough for the sake of the ferret and maybe with nasty drying
effects.) What about non-alcohol mint mouthwash, though, since that won't
have it?  Did Bitter Apple/Bitter Lime/Sour Grape all fail?

To find the Compendium search under American Veterinary Medical Association
(AVMA), or send an SASE to either AFA, P.O. Box 255, Crowsville, MD 21032
or to STAR Ferrets, P.O. Box 1714, Springfield, VA 22151-0714, or perhaps
you can link from Ferret Central:  http://www.ferretcentral.org  .

Sukie