From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:30:17 -0400
Sadly,

http://www.medicinenet.com/rabies/article.htm

which is administered by WebMD STILL contains this:

>What animals carry rabies?
>
>In the United States, domesticated dogs and cats are not primary
>carriers of the rabies virus.  Rather, raccoons, skunks, foxes, bats,
>and ferrets are more likely to harbor the disease and directly infect
>humans.  When domesticated pets are infected, there may be a history
>of previous interaction with these wild animals.

so while WebMD itself has better content it needs to correct MedicineNet,
still.  I think it must be a typo where someone meant to put in
"raccoons" which are a major vector species but thought "mask" and
wrote in "ferrets" because it has NEVER been true.

so more letters are needed to the editors of that company to make sure
that ALL of their websites are cleaned up.

Answers.com removed that quote and instead used a different section of
the MedicineNet.com article, though it still contains a link.

Answers.com ADDED a link to the main rabies CDC page and marked it BEST
OF THE WEB which is great because that can lead people to accurate ferret
info.  Hopefully, the NASPHV will allow a link the current compendium or
another group the NASPHV has allowed to host the current compendium will
do so, but honestly the one year old one the CDC makes available is the
same in ferret content as far as I can see, so it doesn't matter.

Below is the addy of the WebMD editor; WebMD administers MedicineNet as
well as some reference links.  Be sure to point out that MedicineNet
STILL needs to be fixed, and pass along references.  Here are some
reputable references.  Please, politely point out, that the statement
has never been true and must have been a case of someone MEANING to type
"raccoons" which would be accurate, and that the two most knowledgeable
sources of information on rabies in the United States are the CDC's
rabies branch, and the National Association of State Public Health
veterinarians.

> Some resources which ARE UP TO DATE and based upon facts rather
> than supposition or typos:
> E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
> http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/Ques&Ans/q&a.htm
> http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/default.htm
> http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5403a1.htm
> http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/Professional/professi.htm
> http://www.nasphv.org/
> http://s94745432.onlinehome.us/RabiesCompendium.pdf

These may also prove useful:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1283&articleid=562
http://www.avma.org/communications/brochures/rabies/rabies_brochure.asp
http://www.cste.org/
specifically
http://www.cste.org/pdffiles/2006/2006RabiesCompendium.pdf
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~sprite/RABIES.HTML
http://www.ferret-fact.org/Rabies.htm
http://www.mass.gov/dph/cdc/epii/rabies/rabdcf.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/ques&ans/rabies_q_a_.pdf
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/rabies_pets_flowchart_134247_7.pdf
http://www.uga.edu/scwds/topic_index/1998/FerretRabiesPolicyChanged.pdf
<http://chfs.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/
51133FDB-C335-4BF9-B786-3499BF88D2C1/0/RABIES200613.pdf>
(It is not unusual to find any state's health dept. providing info
like this)
http://chfs.ky.gov/dph/epi/rabies.htm
http://www.oneidacounty.org/oneidacty/gov/dept/health/Rabies/
2006ClinicScheduleRabies.pdf
http://www.trifl.org/politics.shtml

and there are plenty more

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org