From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:13:57 -0500
Yesterday, Kim Fox wrote:

>By the way if anyone has some advice for how I should deal with the
>bathing thing while I'm in a leg cast, I'm open to suggestions....
>yes ....even Alexandra....

I read this thinly veiled criticism of my FREELY GIVEN, EVER-HELPFUL
advice and support given to this woman over the last few weeks and said
nothing, alone, bathed in the blue light from my monitor, I merely
narrowed my eyes in a telling way....and began to type.

I'm thinking tool handle dip.

You know that rubberized coating that comes on tool handles so that
you can grip them more surely, or not get blasted to hell if you are
holding a tool and working on something electrical? You can buy it in
small cans that look just like ordinary tins of paint at places like
Home Depot. Red is a very popular color. You shake the tin up, dip in
the thing that you want coated, let the excess drip off, and let the
whole thing dry.One can lasts a long time, dips a lot of screwdriver
handles. Now, Kim's leg cast is obviously too big to dip. But...the
coating can be brushed on, though several coats may necessary for
optimal waterproofing. Say, so that her cast will repel water in a
shower so she can wash and the cast won't melt or mildew. I thought
about the spray on teflon or silicon option. No. You want to encase the
cast in something really water repellent, not just rely on a spray.

Tool handle dip. That's the thing. Right up to her hip.

At that same hypothetical Home Depot (the place that Wolfy and I call
'Man Land') there are a variety of brushes and rollers available, paint
trays, too, at very reasonable prices. Kim might want to hobble over
there.

Now...for spot cleaning, or just a little freshening up between
showers...consider the Swiffer. I think the message has gotten out now
that the thing about Swiffer cleaning fluid being toxic is only an
internet myth. You can buy boxes of soft, hygienic cleaning pads for
the mop head that are probably made from the same absorbent materials
as your average diaper, even have velcro strips to hold them in place.
The lightweight aluminum shaft of the Swiffer mop would allow Kim to
reach any place that needed...um...Swiffing. She could easily dispense
the cleaning fluid right where it needed to go, and follow up with a
vigorous Swiffing. I bet it exfoliates well. Keeps the skin fresh and
pink.

Kim can pick one up at the Home Depot when she goes to get the tool
handle dip.

 :)
Alexandra in MA