From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:35:48 EST
LADY

They had spent some time together laughing and sharing stories of their
"fuzzy dad" and their life on earth.  Each had told of how they came into
his life.  It wasn't long before the others asked Lady how she came to be
part of the family.

"Well, it was ... Oh!  My Goodness!!", Lady was embarrased.  Having been so
busy, she didn't realize the date.  December 23 - the anniversay of when
she came to live with the 'Fuzzy Faced Man'.

"I had been living in a display with several other ferrets.  I was older,
and larger, then the others.  Hoomans would come in and look at the smaller
kits.  I could hear then say, "Oh, aren't they cute!".  One by one the
hoomans chose the others over me.  Finally, I was alone".

"I kept hearing them speak of Christmas.  They talked about hopes, dreams,
wishes.  I had been alone for several days.  I remember that, even though
I knew nothing of Christmas, I made a wish of my own.  I wished to have a
home".

"There was a man who used to walk by the store.  On occasions he would stop
in and the salesclerk would let him take me out of the display and play
with me, hold me.  he wore funny clothes, a uniform I think he called it.
There was a metal thing on his shirts that said "Security".  I know that
is what I felt when he held me, security...and love".

One day the woman clerk was talking to him about me.  She called me 'the
ferret no one wants'.  She asked the man if he wanted to take me home.  She
said they would be closed for the holidays and could not leave me alone.
The man said, "Everyone should have a home for Christmas.  Christmas is
about family, home, and love.  I would, but I can't afford to right now".

The woman clerk said something about "a discount".  But the man said he had
no money at all, and wouldn't for several days.  He could not give her any
money at all.  I saw the clerk take some green paper from her pocket and
put it in a drawer.  She turned to the man saying, "Merry Christmas.  You
can pay me back whenever".

Ladt related the story of her life with the "Fuzzy Face Man" and the other
hoomans that she lived with.  She spoke of playing with Geordi the dog.
She had fond memories of her good friend Furrice.  Oh, how she missed
Furrice.

Lady explained how she suddenly got ill.  And how her daddy would stay up
to take care of her.  She began to cry when they spoke of the night when
her dad took her outside.  She had been ill for a while.  He took her out
to play in the grass and to look at the stars.  It was on that night when
dad told her of the Rainbow Bridge.

She began crying and could not control her tears.  Suddenly she ran off.
The others called after her only to have her answer, "Please ... I need
to be alone!"