Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:55:14 EST
Not to show any disrespect for friends of mine that tried to put this
exact same thing into words in regard to this subject.  But your letter
touched the point much more deeply I think than past post have.  You
truly touched all sides of this subject and I for one applaud you.  I too
agree with you and others out there.  No one is calling Zoo down here but
her strict policy is in fact genuinely selfish.  I hate to say that but
the fact remains.  If one is to claim sanctuary then one is deemed with
animals that are un-adoptable by this I mean Lions, Bears, Tigers, Birds
of Prey or any animal not typical of domestication as are ferrets.
Ferrets indeed may be presented as un-adoptable and yes some are sick,
old, need surgery and dying.  Do they need more care, sure but still
doesn't make them un-adoptable.  Have they been abused?  Some more than
likely, but that again does not mean they can't be rehabilitated.  Now,
Im sure there may be some that are probably better left in experienced
hands but in general most do well in foster care or in adopted homes.

No one however is going to change Zoo's mind except herself.  I truly
believe Cathy needs to look deep inside and figure out the real reason
for this decision for certainly it is not in the best interest (as you
said) of those in her charge whether she believes it or not.  They have
become her personal ferrets in such a way that she has not given
sanctuary she has given them a home.  All shelters are temporary homes
to ferrets and yes some in their care stay the entirety of their lives
but not all.  A home to a ferret is a forever home that which a shelter
is not intended to be.

Sincerely,
Leanne B

[Moderator's note: Kinda hard to make a judgement call like that without
seeing the evidence.  I think this is a valuable topic, but it might
conclude that there are many different ways to get the same result.  At
least I hope it will focus on results.  BIG]