Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:01:31 -0800
Hello all, I know many of you have been waiting on an update on Bear and
his wheels.  We've had a bit of a rough time, so I haven't been able to
write here in awhile, in fact I'm just starting to catch up on my reading.
Big Bear is healthy and happy.  He's became a local hero of sorts, our
local tv station put a little blib on the tele about him.  He really showed
his stuff off, too.  Ran all over the place for the cameras, and kissed the
reporter.  He had a bit of intestinal upset and lost some weight last week,
which seems to be the plight of a paralyzed fert.  He's back up and his
appetite is back to the norm, so is his curiosity.  His feet, which were
bald and scabbed are completely healed and the hair has grown back.  He's
becoming the shelter mascot here, as not a person who meets him, lover or
foe of ferrets, can ignore the fact that this is the sweetest critter who's
ever graced the world.

As to us, well, we are wiped out.  Last night was the first sleep after two
nights of none, and even that was none to restful.  Fritz, was brought
here as a boarder last friday.  His mom is a wonderful women who loves him
dearly.  Fritz has insuloma though and has not had the easiest time of it
and unfortunely their vet was not very ferret knowledgable (mostly using
Karosyrup as a contorl).  In the wee hours of saturday morning Fritz had a
massive seizure, we rubbed syrup on his gums to no avail, called our vet
and rushed him in.  It took more than an hour to stop the seizure.  He
stayed the day there, being given steroids, glucose and being fed every
half hour a high protien food, by the hand of our very good and loving doc.
She spent the rest of the day, between other clients holding and kissing
little Fritz.  In the evening we took him home to continue the feedings.
Though he never got back to quite normal, he was showing signs of
alertness, even giving little ferret kisses, and eating his food well.
Then four in the morning came and he no longer would eat.  He was going
back down we knew and before we went back to the vets had another large
seizure, which we had to use valium to stop.  He stayed at the vets the
rest of the day, trying the same as the day before.  He continued to have
little seizures and screamed, in what seemed an agony that day.  We had to
contact his owner so that poor Fritz could be released from this terrible
pain.  He had a normal glucose level in his blood and should of been back
to his ferrety self.  The old man's time had come to cross over.  This was
the hardest thing I've ever had to do, all these homeless ferrets we care
for, and to have a loved and cared for ferret go this way was truly a sad
experience.

To top the weekend off, we had two adorable and beautiful kids dropped off
here.  They're three and half years old Little Mama barely a pound and
Scooter her cagemate almost 4 pounds.  They're full of kisses and love and
so very gentle.  Unfortunetly, Little Mama is also losing hair on her body
and her vulva is very swollen, so we've scheduled surgery for this week to
take a look and remove the offending adrenal gland.

Luckily our vet is very good peoples, since we've in the last 3 months,
have taken in many ferrets and have no one who wants to adopt.  We've got,
and I'm not just being predjudice, some of the most beautiful ferrets
around here, rangeing from ages 4 months to 3 and half years, in all shades
and colors.  We have lovey sweet kissy ferts, independent fun lovers and
needy people following shoulder ferrets.  I'm sorry this is so long, and
thank you for alowing me to get all this off my chest.  I don't believe
I've ever cried so much or for so long as in the best few days.  My heart
goes out to all who've lost their loved kids.  I hope that Fritz finds
friends among them at rainbow bridge though, until we all get to see them
once again for the last and all time.

Dooks to all,
Kristine, Bear, Syvia, Moby and Sid

Friends Of Fuzzies Ferret Shelter
Bend, OR
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm/2057

Help Friends of Fuzzies every time you browse or shop on-line-at no cost
to you.  Just begin by clicking here
http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=3909&mid=33722