Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:09:59 +0800
>Hi Everyone!  Rocky loves raw chicken and egg yolk, and chicken gravy
>and would eat it all the time if I gave it to him.... What can I give
>him that would be more nutritionally complete?...

hi Shron,

Smart ferret you've got there that prefers real fresh foods over
processed food :)

Carnivores are designed to eat other animals, not just meat, so you are
right that meat alone isn't nutritionally enough.

If you don't want to feed pre-killed, frozen whole prey (mice, chicks,
etc - it does get easier as you get used to it!) you can feed a variety
of meaty bones just like chicken wings as you mentioned.

If you think of what a whole chicken is comprised of - mostly meaty
bones, and some organ meat.  Eg two wings, two drumsticks, breast with
bone-in, a neck, even a head and feet if you can source them from
markets!  Meaty bones from other animals could include quail, rabbit,
cornish hen, etc.

Feed a variety of different parts over time (quail legs on Monday,
chicken wings on Tuesday), keep the pieces whole (no mince meat or small
pieces)

Chicken wings can be a bit intimidating for some ferrets because of their
size, so you can divide them into the 3 segments at the joints.  Provided
Rocky doesn't have too far advanced periodontal disease, he should be
able to manage these pieces beautifully.  If he does have any dental
problems, you might like to get them looked at before he starts on any
new foods, where he will actually be using those fantastic teeth :)

Have you joined the Natural Ferrets list?