From:
Chris Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1993 09:36:37 -0500
Hi all,

This is yet another inquiry about litter training ferrets - I
have answered many of these myself, and now I am the one asking.

What do you do when all else fails???

I have 3 wonderful ferrets.  And in my small room, they have
3 litter boxes, and they do use them.  But they have also
decided to use the doorway into my room as their toilet as well.
For one thing, you have the chance of stepping in it when leaving
or entering the room (there is a plexiglass divider between my room
and the rest of the world).  And the second thing is that it
drives my roommates crazy - they have begged me not to put a litter
box there because then they would have to look at it everytime they
walked by my room (my room is adjacent to the kitchen), and that
grosses them out.

So, what have I done?  I have spreading food over the area.  It works
for my 2 females (until they eat the food, then when its gone they go
there), but my male could care less and he shits on the food.

I can't be here constantly, I watch them immediately after they leave
the cage, as long as I am watching, they go in the right place.  I don't
want to lock them up constantly either.

Any suggestions?  I'm going out to buy a dark-brown towel and I'm going
to soak it in vinegar - lets see how that works.  Clear those sinuses out
anyway.

Chris.