From:
shaved alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:30:21 PDT
Stanley, Makita, and Torito may be getting a new friend.  However, "friend"
is the key word here.  Recently I have become quite fascinated with exotic
birds.  I can't imagine that a bird and a ferret (let alone 3 of them) can
be friends.  My ferrets run free in my room and that is where I would be
keeping the bird cage.  I am hoping that if the bird cage is out of the
ferrets reach and both aren't out free at the same time, there won't be a
problem.  However, I do know that some pets become so stressed out by their
environment that it may actually kill them.  I have experienced this first
hand with reptiles.  Does anyone have any information of birds becoming
this stressed due to their environment?  If anyone has a bird I would love
to hear of your experience and thoughts.  Also, if I may sneak this in, if
you have a bird you really love and would like to recommend, please e-mail
me.  Yesterday, I spent some time with a yellow nape.  I wonder how that
bird would do with my kyds.

I keep seeing the topic of food reappear in this list.  Each time I amazed
when I don't see "my brand" ever named.  I feed my three kyds NUTRE cat
food for KITTENS.  The Nutre KITTEN food is much more affordable than many
ferret food brands and the ingredients are very close to exactly what is
recommended for ferrets (all those important percentages- fat, fiber,
etc.).  My ferrets along with many of my friends kyds have been eating this
for years and are exceptionally healthy and active.  Also, if you are
picky, you may have noticed that some ferret foods are stinky.  Nutre has
no scent and does not disintegrate into crumbs in the bottom of the food
bowl.  It is a harder food than some (not all) but they don't seem to mind
at all.

Another topic which seems to reappear that I have overcame and feel
comfortable giving advice about is the flea problem.  Hopefully my advice
will eliminate frustrating experimenting time.  Us "ferret people" always
seem to have to create our home remedies for many of our problems as there
is not always specific advice for our pets.  Here is my flea solution.  I
purchased the liquid ADVANTAGE for small cats and drop three (3) drops on
each ferrets neck once per month.  This is approximately 1/3rd the dosage
for cats.  I use the same dose on my large male as I do on my two smaller
females.  I have done a LOT of experimenting with smaller doses and this
seems to be perfect for both my small and large kyds.  It is also economical
as 1 tube can drop out 9 drops.

Please tell me about your BIRDS!!!!
Reply at:  [log in to unmask]
Chad, Torito (f sable), Stanley (m albino), and Makita (f silver mitt)