From:
"Bryan P. Coffey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:06:10 -0400
Chapter 6 - Sometimes Change Is Forever

The two started swimming towards shore and the mermaid asked Christofert
who he was and why he was there.  The two talked a little bit about his
adventures and before long, they reached a sheltered inlet.  "I can't go
any further," said the mermaid.  "Climb onto these rocks and we can talk
just a little longer while we wait for the magic to wear off."

Christofert wiggled onto the rocks into the calming night sky.  It was
kind of hard to do since he no longer had legs and claws.  Also he was
much fatter than he had been, but he got up on the rocks with a couple
of pushes from the mermaid.

"Miss Mermaid, " started Christofert "where am I? And what happened to
the ship I was sailing on?"

"You are on one of the larger islands near a great continent.  From what
you have told me, you must be on the other side of a great ocean.  One
of the three ships you came on sank.  The others are safe now waiting
for the storm to end, thanks in part to you.  The storm is almost over,
and I'm sure that the survivors will return to this island to recover
what they can.  Many men have already washed onto the beaches. " She
paused and smiled "Oh!  You are starting to change back."  Christofert
felt a little tingling and a bit squashed for a moment before the
mermaid continued.  "There all better now, although I though you had
more triangular, pointy ears before?  I need to get going.  There is
good fishing after a storm."

Christofert reached a paw up and discovered that he now had little round
ears like a sealion, rather than the pointy ones that all ferrets and
polecats had.  "Well, it's not quite right, but I don't really mind too
much.  Thank you for helping me.  Bye! I hope we can meet again.  And if
I can ever help you, let me know."

With a wave of her hand and tail, the mermaid disappeared below the
surface again.  She stuck her head above the water once more and called
out once more before disappearing for good.  "The fish say that many men
are washing ashore towards the rising sun."  Christofert looked around.
He knew he was on the island that Columbus had called Hispanola, but he
was too tired to look for any of the men or ships.  Crawling wearily
into the trees, he found an old log to crawl under and fell asleep.

(to be continued)

            Bryan P. Coffey - Boston, MA
      Weasel Warriors - Albi, Esef, Merri, and Mint
        http://www.gis.net/~bpcoffey/furball.html