From:
Sue Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:33:50 -0800
Trina had surgery last Tuesday for adrenal.  When he took that out, he
also removed a nodule from her pancreas.  Her adrenal gland was benign,
her nodule came back as insulinoma (which we were treating her for).
She was fine until Fri afternoon sometime.  My husband came home from
work to find vomit and diarrhea and told me how she'd been when I got
home.  I gave her some nutri-cal thinking she was crashing, and that
didn't help.  So we rushed her out to a different vet (our regular one
was already closed) who said her blood sugar was 470 (as I hear thousands
of gasps around the world), and said when our regular vet tampered with
the pancreas, it stopped producing insulin, and now she is diabetic and a
urinary tract infection.  So she gave me some antibiotics and told us to
feed her nothing but her regular food and give her Pepcid AC and the
medicine for a week.

She was doing much better the next day, she seems completely normal
now, eating lots of food like she used to.  What I wondering is, is she
diabetic for life, or will her pancreas start working again?  And could
she get insulinoma again, and if she does, how will we know if it's that
or diabetes?  They seem to have all the same symptoms!  Also, the vet we
saw Fri said no cheerios, our regular vet said cheerios are ok.  Which
is it?  Can I give her any treats now that she's acting normal?  We're
getting her blood sugar checked on Sat when she gets her stitches out.
Is ferretone ok for a diabetic?  That's what I use when I clip their
nails.  Thanks for any help anyone can give me!!

Sue
Trina
Sugar
Zo