From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:16:34 -0700
>We want petco to stick to what they were incorporated to do...sell
>products FOR the animals...not sell the animals.  Many shelters on this
>list, support petco, take blood money from petco and look the other way
>when animals die.  Now that they're buying ADV positive ferrets will
>these shelters and shows continue their support of petco?

It sure would be nice if they stopped selling animals but I am told that
will never happen.

Shelters have to take what they can get in order to survive.  SHELTERS
do, not stores.  Petco has NOT donated or done much for shelters, and
the little bit they have donated has not been money but supplies (mostly
broken stuff or returned items).  If Petco has sponsored any ferret
events, it has been a very cheap way for them to reach this demographic.
That is fine if they want to waste their money thinking that ferret
owners don't know what Petco is all about.  More for the events!  LOL.
I know of NO shelters on this list who SUPPORT Petco.  Again, you are
sticking your neck out to peak curiosity, but don't elaborate or give
examples of WHO or WHAT.  I am certain a few shelter operators on here
are insulted by what you just posted.  I say good, if shelters can get
anything out of Petco, that is what they are entitled to since they are
handling the burden of Petco's "impulse" inspired selling of animals.

By the way, I just learned that the shelter you send sick ferrets to,
has been doing some stuff with the Factoria Petco.  Are you now going
to stop working with that shelter because of it?

To any shelter operator who is reading this post...if you can get
anything back from Petco...DO IT!  Do not feel bad about it.  I have
tried for the past three years to get Petco to donate to shelters.
Mostly, money not supplies because supplies don't pay vet bills!  Excuse
me, Dr. X, can I pay you in ferretvite or Marshall Farms hammocks?  I
don't think so.

Anything shelters can get, is a plus.

Please, just as in the recent case in New Hampshire (thank you Alicia)
and the efforts of those of us who called and wrote begging for them not
to return those ferrets to the distributor, progress was made and those
ferrets are being taken care of.  I got a call from a higher up who was
shocked at how many calls were received.  They are starting to see that
the ferret community WONT tolerate mistreatment of these animals.  That
is a GOOD thing!  Kudos to all of you who helped...keep it up because I
am sure there will be other incidents where our voices need to be heard.
I now go straight to Brian's Assistant because she makes sure he hears
about all of it.  Everyones participation paid off, especially Alicia's
who, even though she has had a whole bunch of chaos lately (fire, van,
etc...) devoted her time and heart to this.  AMEN to her.  When people
spend time on issues such as these, it can be exhausting.  That goes the
same for Tara and Troy Lynn on the Jen issue...KUDOS!

P.S.  I have talked to Animals Etc. and they didn't even know what ADV
was!  Now they do.  They have moved around and I was able to obtain the
following contact information, should anyone wish to speak with them too:

Animals Etc.
551 East Route 130
Burlington, NJ  08016
609-986-8442