From:
"DIANE M. VITRO" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 21:06:19 EST
This is my first message to FML, and I'm still a novice in ferret-land (my
grande dame, Mugsy is a year old), but I DO live in Metro Atlanta, and can
tell you that in this part of Georgia, at least, ferrets are legal.  They
haven't been for very long (less than 2 years, I believe), but pet stores
here are full of them.  I think that Georgia law requires that all of them
be neutered before they can be sold to non-licensed breeders.  In addition,
Mugsy and Tuggle (10 week old male), had both been descented and had their
shots before they moved in here and took over the place, and they were
adopted from 2 separate stores, though both have the MF tatoos, which, in
Mugsy's case, we thought were flea bite scars, until we discovered FML about
3 weeks ago.  Tuggle only arrived here last week.  Most Georgians are still
pretty "green" when it comes to knowing much about these little varmints,
but some of us are beginning to catch on.  Mugsy spent her first year living
in pine litter, but thanks to FML, now has a carpeted 2-level home, and
doesn't scratch as much.  Thanks to everyone on the FML, while Mugs has
taught us a gracious plenty, you have filled in so many of the important
details, that she couldn't ...  until she learns to talk .  .  .  which
wouldn't surprise me in the least ...  and to think a year ago, the last
thing in the world I wanted was a ferret.  My then 16-year old son came home
from a neighborhood pet store smitten by a little female sable and begging
to bring her home.  Like most boys of his age, he was car-crazy.  I gave him
the choice of going downtown to the Car Show, or getting the ferret, knowing
without a doubt, that he would choose the show.  I was wrong.  Mugsy moved
in and quickly showed me who was in charge.  She took over our home and our
hearts and our cat.  With the exception of the cat, I don't think that the
rest of us could make it without her anymore.  Yes, ferrets are legal in
Georgia!

Diane ( with permission from Mugsy and Tuggle [named for the great
linebacker, Jessie Tuggle])