From:
John Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:30:59 EDT
Hello, This is the first time I have written to this list.  I have only
been a member for about a month now.  My husband had been wanting a ferret
for many years now, but with a bad experience with one that was given to us
15 years ago (vicious, biting animal, that died with in a week of getting
him from distemper) by friends who were being transferred over seas (U.S.
Navy) I refused to have another.  (Flame all you want for that statement,
but it accurately describes the ferret given to us, and the situation.)
Anyway, to make a long story short back in March while shopping for a
hamster to replace the one that died of old age the night before I fell in
love with this tiny little baby ferret (8 weeks old) and had to take him
home to love.  That day (on pure impulse) I bought the ferret, an expensive
cage, food, litter pan, etc, etc Cerino is now the most lovable little boy.
He loves to cuddle and sleeps with my husband and I.

After doing a lot of research on line the next day I realized the extent of
the responsibility that we had just taken on and just knew that we needed
another ferret!  Ferret math after just one day!  We did wait until May
before picking up our second ferret.  A little girl who was already 4
months old and had never been out of her cage to play and be cuddled.  The
good point was that she shared that cage with two other ferrets so was used
to being around other ferrets.  The first few days were rough as we thought
Cerino was going to hurt poor little Pandora.  But they are now wonderful
little playmates.

Now that the history lesson is out of the way On to why I am writing this.
Mostly it is to thank all of you for your help!  Even though I have been a
silent member of this list up until now you have all helped us so much.
From litter training to proper diet, the members of this list have given
us so much useful information.

Now for a few questions.  Cerino LOVES sweets!  Popcicles are his all time
favorite snack.  He will go to great lengths to get to your hand if you
are holding a popcicle.  He also loves apple jelly, and apple cinnamon
nutrigran bars!  If it is sweet this ferret wants it!  How much sweet is
too much?  Should he have none of these things?  Or is a bite or two OK?
We did buy some chicken flavor ferret snacks Cerino HATES them!

Next, we have a small hole in the wall behind our entertainment stand,
about the size of a dime.  I know Cerino and Pandora can t get out the
hole, but roaches are getting in the hole.  I m deathly afraid of roaches,
but Cerino and Pandora LOVE them.  Edible chew toys!  Just about every
evening while watching TV I will see this awful two-inch bug go running
from behind the entertainment center being chased by two very determined
ferts.  The nightly ritual is really pretty ridiculous.  Roach comes
running out.  I scream and jump up on the back of the couch.  Ferts come
running out after the roach.  Kids come screaming and laughing into the
room to watch the show.  Ferts chase nasty bug around room.  Ferts catch
nasty bug.  Ferts play with nasty bug.  Kids laugh some more.  Ferts eat
nasty bug.  I yell at husband to fix hole in wall.  The end.  When Cerino
and Pandora are done the only thing remaining of the roach are its legs.
Is it ok for my ferrets to eat roaches?  I put duct tape over the hole, but
Pandora, wanting her nightly snack, tore the tape off.

To Eric and Mary Shefferman, We have only seen one copy of your magazine
so far (the summer issue) and we LOVED it.  We have to drive 50 miles to
purchase a copy and we will be doing so this weekend.  I will also be
sending in our subscription order in the next few weeks.  Keep up the
wonderful work.  Your Tuesday August 31st letter to this list was also
wonderful and well said.  My family and I applaud you for what you
contribute to the ferret community.  If we find the picture in the issue
offensive that is our problem, not yours, and it will NOT stop us from
reading your wonderful magazine in the months, and hopefully years, to
come.

Dianne, Cerino and Pandora