From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 10:16:35 EDT
>I wouldn't suggest Borax, I believe it is either poisonous or caustic.

Borax is neither poisonous nor caustic ... it's a natural mineral, actually.
A lot of us who make homemade lotions, soaps and salves use it in our
recipes, as it is a good emulsifier.  I use it for household cleaning, too.
Like baking soda and vinegar, it is very versatile stuff.

I've heard that it works well as an insect repellant/killer, as do boric
acid and diatamaceous earth.  If you use the D.E., please buy it from a
nursery or garden center, as it will then be more "pure" than the D.E. from
pool supply stores.  It works by cutting up and drying out the outer coating
of the insects, causing them to dehydrate.  Also, please take care not to
inhale D.E. - it can be quite harmful to your lungs.

- Ela